Any Initial Experience With The New Onkyo SR 600 Receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Landolfi, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone,

Has anyone had an opportunity to check out Onkyo's new SR 600 receiver? I know it has just come out so it may be tough to find locally, but a couple Onkyo authorized internet dealers have this receiver at the same price (shipping included) as the Denon 1802. I am saving for the 1802, but am tempted by the 6-channel capability (future-proofing) and component video switching that the 600 offers over the Denon (they're both rated for 80watts per channel). I imagine Denon will "fire back" in the near future, but I'm making my purchase in about a month. If anyone has any thoughts or hears anything, please post!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Actually, it isn't available yet. Supposed to hit stores in early May, so you should be all set. I'd probably wait for a review or two, and also go take a listen myself.

3. MoG

MoG Stunt Coordinator

FWIW, Onecall.com has it in stock and people have reported seeing it in Circuit City.

4. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

The 600 is out (In limited supply), several people have it allready, and so far all reviews are positive. I demoed it at my local CC and thought it sounded great! Crutchfield has it in stock, so does JandR.

jim

5. John Garcia

John
    *edit - YESTERDAY, Crutchfield had a note that said EXPECTED MAY 10, now they say they have them in stock.

Not sure about J&R.

If CC has it, I may just have to stop in and give it a listen.

6. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

J&R has them in stock, they are not listed on their website. One gentleman said he paid $407 + shipping for it... think the total was $430 from jandr. I ordered it last week direct from onkyo thru a wholesale club for $407. Should have it in a week or two. My local CC sold out of the 5 they got in, but had their demo unit up and running.

jim

7. MoG

MoG Stunt Coordinator

Do y'all know the 'normal' differences between Integra and Onkyo? The new 5.3 sounds to have the same feature set as the 600. I'm not to familiar with either brand, so I'm not sure if the 5.3 would have any additional features? It it like Pioneer vs. Pioneer Elite?

8. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I would say so. There must be more to it than Silver knobs but I don't have any specific info on the 600 vs. 5.3 differences.

9. Ron Jason

Ron Jason Auditioning

I've had the 600 for exactly a week. Purchased it at CC for $474-. Sounds terrific in all formats. Imaging and sound quality are excellent. My comments are posted on another website which you can obtain by clicking here.
    I'd be happy to answer any specific questions that are not answered there.

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

11. John Garcia

John
    That's not an issue, that is common to all receivers when playing a mono track. I hadn't run into one until I bought Young Frankenstien.

12. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

I order the 600 at J & R for $407 plus shipping $23, no tax.

I shpuld have it tomorrow.

13. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

Its available at various places like J&R, BestPriceAudioVideo and OneCall for around $400-$450. Crutchfield also has it in stock but at the list price of $499. I picked up mine on Friday from Circuit City and you can read about my initial impressions here.