What's new

Any info on The Big Lebowski HD DVD? (1 Viewer)

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
How's it look and sound?

I'm really itching to pull the trigger on this over at Amazon, but don't want to if it's not really any better than the old DVD.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Disclaimer: I watched the HD DVD last night for the purpose of watching the film, and not really for purposes of a critical evaluation of the A/V; but...

I was really impressed with this release. Perhaps a little soft in a few scenes, but overall it delivers good detail (look at the facial hair on 'The Dude' and narrator, for instance) and the color performance is terrific. The bright colors associated with the bowling alley segments are particularly pleasing with great saturation.

I do not know the technical details regarding the soundtrack, so perhaps I am merely imagining it; but 'Just Dropped In' during the Gutterballs segment has never sounded better. (Or maybe I was just really in to seeing this film in an HD format. :) )

A great film that has received a nice release on HD DVD. Recommended.

- Walter.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Since this one had a fairly recent remaster on SD, it seems like a safe bet. It's the catalog titles that haven't been remastered recently by Uni that are the ones to worry about (please don't let Tremors and Last Starfighter look like crap!).

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I was really hoping this wouldn't look that good so I could skip it. Looks like I'm going to have to place my order now.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
One of my favs, and can't wait to pick this one. But I'll have to wait until the weekend and it's killing me!

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
The first time I saw the rug close up scene without any artifacts.
I'm very happy with this disc.
I'm noticing a lot of little details I hadn't seen before.

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator

I ended up just ordering this anyway and I watched it last night. I agree with what you said. It really does look great. And, I have to say, this movie never fails to make me laugh - multiple times. It really is a classic. :)

"I'm shomer shabbas."

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I was really impressed with this release. Perhaps a little soft in a few scenes, but overall it delivers good detail (look at the facial hair on 'The Dude' and narrator, for instance) and the color performance is terrific. The bright colors associated with the bowling alley segments are particularly pleasing with great saturation."

Funny you say that becuase after watching it for so long with a soft pic, the sharpness of the transfer can almost be offputting at first.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Bought it, watched it, loved it.
I may as well leave this one in my A1, as it will probably be watched more often than any other HD DVD I own right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks