Any info on the Apex 7701 universal DVD player yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rin, Nov 24, 2001.

1. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

I saw this player in the J&R ad in the back of this month's S&V magazine and it looks interesting. The $299 price sounds like a steal but I'm not too sure about Apex.

Thanks for any info.

rin

2. Bill Turetsky

It's going to be pretty hard to BELIEVE the 7701

First of all I doubt if Sony is going to let them use the SACD and if Apex does try to do SACD without it, they're going to get their pants sued off if they get too close

And it will be one year before Apex gets the bugs out anyhow of anything that should work

But here's hoping anyhow

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

There has been talk of the '7701 for months now, and J&R has been taking pre-orders on its web site for several months. I am skeptical about this player seeing the light of day. If the player is actually released, I doubt it will have a DSD chip for SACD. It will probably process SACD through a PCM DAC. I also wonder if it will handle multi-channel SACD. No matter what APEX says it will do, I in no way expect it to be a good component. APEX just doesn't make high-quality, reliable components. Sorry, just my $0.02 on the matter.

4. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I completely agree with Keith!

5. Johnny Lerner

Please folks

Keep us posted on what you hear about the 7701 - it is clear it will set a 'price' reference - and I will be as happy as anyone to get everything it claims for $100 plus a toaster - but more relevantly, their blah-blah will be something all manufacturers will have to watch - which is a good thing.

On the other hand Apex is rather famous ('infamous') for having to deliver 2-3 units before a customer is 'satisfied.'

Apex is in so many ways the proverbial 'straw man.'

6. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Stunt Coordinator

I have an Apex AD600A which is the original cult classic,it
    plays anything,no problems whatsoever.The supposed lastest buzz on the 7701 is that it is supposed to be out the week
    after Thanksgiving.I got that info from the nerd-out.com
    forum,its a huge apex site.[​IMG]

7. Jaehoon Heo

Jaehoon Heo Stunt Coordinator

I don't expect AD-7701 to be a good component either. It looks like a pack of specmanship... However, making SACD playback system is not difficult. Most computation-intensive things are done in recording and encoding phase. The player doesn't need to do much except the multichannel lossless DSD decoding(Philips calls it Direct Stream Transfer or DST). Even the conversion from DSD to PCM wouldn't be a problem if it is well done, and it can be done well easily. DSD signal itself became analog audio signal after low-pass filtering, and DSD-to-PCM conversion just does it in digital domain.

One more good news is that there are many decent DAC chips doing conversion from both PCM and DSD. It is not expensive to add DSD playback!!

8. Johnny Lerner

JH

I appreciate that SACD de-coding CAN be done - but I might suspect there would be some copyright and/or patent problems - any ideas on this?

(The closer it comes to doing what Sony does, the bigger the risk of legal difficulties - the farther away it is - to stay out of the courts - the less appealing it is to the market)