What's new

Any info on SCTV on DVD (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I remember reading in August that they were shooting for a January release but have not read anything since.
Amazon has it listed but no release date.
Anyone????

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Shout Factory hasn't said anything lately about what's going on. Maybe I'll ring them up and ask.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
As far as I know, the announcement of a tentative January date was a bit premature. Last I heard, it looked more like an April 04 release of the Season 4 set but there was also consideration being given to doing a direct response campaign (Time Life) where individual DVDs with two episodes per disc would be available prior to the retail set. Hopefully we'll hear some kind of official announcement soon. I was told that the powers that be don't want specific release information (date, extras, etc) prior to the press release. I WANT MY SCTV! :D

Haden

Supporting Actor
Yeah, April is what I heard as well. If it were coming in January, we would have already known the specific release date and specs a couple months ago.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Joe Flaherty has confirmed April as the month of release on the alt.tv.sctv newsgroup. He also said that he "Just finished doing some more additional material for the DVD's." I hope Shout! issues a press release soon as I am really curious as to the specifics on extras.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I can't wait for SCTV to come to DVD. This is one of the greatest sketch comedy shows ever. I hope that they also release the other SCTV seasons/shows on DVD.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
I'm confused. It was a half hour show that ran several seasons. Is this a bunch of "Best of" shows thrown together.

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator
"SCTV" did start out (in 1976?) as a 30-minute series in first-run syndication...but in 1981 NBC added the series to its late-night lineup as a once-a-week 90-minute series on Friday nights following the Carson show. Because the cast and producers apparently feel these 90-minute eps are the best quality and most well-remembered, the 30-minute eps have been bypassed. Somewhere on the internet is an interview with Eugene Levy explaining that the budgets for the 30-minute shows were low and they were all "finding their way" with the show.

HOWEVER...

To pad out those first few 90 minute shows, the SCTV crew threw in their favorite older sketches and pieces from syndication days...so although this new DVD release is giving you the first 9 episodes of the 90-minute SCTV format, you're also getting older stuff in there.

Doc

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I have a feeling that Shout Factory will probably handle SCTV similar to the way A&E Home Video released THE AVENGERS on DVD.

Remember that A&E gave us the color Diana Rigg episodes first (the most accessible/popular shows, generally speaking), then the black & white Rigg episodes, followed by the latter-day Honor Blackman kinescope episodes, then the Post-Rigg era Linda Thorson shows, THE NEW AVENGERS, and things will likely be wrapped-up soon with the earliest surviving episodes with Ian Hendry, early Honor Blackman, etc.

If SCTV sells well (and I'm sure it will), I would imagine the release pattern would look something like this:

Season 4 (NBC, 1981-82)
* Cycle 1, nine 90-minute episodes (June 8, 2004 DVD release)
* Cycle 2, nine 90-minute episodes
* Cycle 3, nine 90-minute episodes

Season 5 (NBC, 1982-83)
* Cycle 4, six 90-minute episodes
* Cycle 5, six 90-minute episodes

Season 6 (Cinemax, 1983-84)
* Eighteen 45-minute episodes

Season 1 (Syndication, 1976-78)
* 26 30-minute episodes

Season 2 (Syndication, 1978-79)
* 26 30-minute episodes

Season 3 (Syndication, 1980-81)
* 26 30-minute episodes

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Kids in the hall hasn't been released to retail yet. There are 3 places that currently sell it - Broadway Video, Comedy Central and A&E. When it's officially released on April 27th it will be available all over the place.

Think of KiTH like Xena, Hercules and Highlander - they are available from the official websites before stores.

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks