1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Any info on new Mobile Fidelity releases?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Reda, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

As I understand it, Mobile Fidelity is back in business and will begin pressing CDs again. [​IMG] I believe the first title will be a Hybrid SACD/CD of Patricia Barber's "Cafe Blue." I was just curious if anybody had any information regarding what the other new titles will be.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ron, I don't have a list of forthcoming Mobile Fidelity titles, but the new Mobile Fidelity is very different than the old one. Music Direct, a high-end audio software and hardware dealer in Chicago, bought the rights to the Mobile Fidelity name. Given the type of dealer Music Direct is, I do not expect to see pop and rock titles on the Mobile Fidelity label like we did before. Also, the owner of Music Direct is Patricia Barber's husband, so I know that a number of Barber titles have been announced for release on Mobile Fidelity SACDs. In short, I see the new Mobile Fidelity specializing in "audiophile" music and not mainstream music.

By the way, this thread belongs in the Music Area.

3. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I've been wondering about this myself. I can understand them not releasing Nirvana, Guns 'n' Roses and REM-type discs, but I hope they still put out some good blues and jazz discs. I'm all for high quality but I hope they still release recognizable titles(nothing against Patricia Barber).

Regards

KrisM

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kris, unfortunately, I am not holding my breath with this version of Mobile Fidelity. I see this label falling into the genre of Chesky, Mapleshade, and the like. They will likely release some good performances from capable artists, but little or nothing mainstream. Let's put it this way. I don't expect to see a Rush Moving Pictures or Eric Clapton Slowhand SACD from Mobile Fidelity.

5. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ric, I'm not offended. Who knows, maybe I'll buy a Mobile Fidelity SACD or two (or three [​IMG]) someday, but whatever they release, I don't expect it to my a staple in my listening sessions. [​IMG]
    I am definitely looking forward to Mr. Hoffman's CCR SACD. In fact, I just registered on his web forum today, and will be visiting the site periodically to keep up with his developments.

7. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, interesting info. Makes me wonder what is going on. Of course, I won't post a question to this effect on Steve Hoffman's forum. [​IMG]

9. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

KeithH,
    I agree that these types of CDs don't really benefit all that much from the remastering process and the 24K gold pressings, but some more popular MoFi CDs still sound amazing. Pink Floyd "DSOTM" and Steve Winwood "Back In The High Life" are a few that come to mind from my collection.
    Regards,
    Ron

10. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit