Any info on a release of True Confessions, Region1?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RoyGBiv, Mar 5, 2005.

1. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I know this movie is not considered either Robert DeNiro or Robert Duvall's best movie, but it's one I've always enjoyed, and I think both of their performances are great. I have been waiting (im)patiently for this on DVD. Now I see it was released last year on Region 2. Does anyone know if there is a Region 1 release on the horizon?

TIA

SMK

2. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Steven,

True Confessions sits high among my top favorite 20 films – the only one of which hasn’t yet been released here in R1. I believe the performances of Robert DeNiro and Robert Duvall are indeed outstanding and cannot fathom why MGM hasn’t yet released this. I have the R2 release but would avoid it like the plague – it is an abysmal transfer.

3. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

probably because MGM library is now controlled by Warner, so it's up to them, and since they havent even released more well known MGM titles like FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD, RYAN'S DAUGHTER, etc, I doubt this is in their priority list.. Great film, by the way!

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Not entirely true! This film was a United Artists release and is still controlled by MGM. Warner controls most of MGM's catelog titles that are not MGM/UA releases.

Crawdaddy

5. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Walter,

Warner only owns "MGM" titles (pre '86). True Confessions is a United Artists title, thus belongs to MGM.

EDIT... Crawdaddy... tie goes to the runner...?

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  7. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info about who has the rights. Any way we get them to release a good copy on DVD?

SMK