Any info/feedback on Samsung TXN2668WHF ?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike Frezon, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I am thisclose to entering the world of widescreen/hdtv -- but on a major budget.

So, I am considering the Samsung TXN2668WHF -- an apparently new 26" widescreen model exclusive to Sears. Although there also appears to be a TXN2670WHF listed by other vendors. I can find no differences between them. Anyway, the Sears model, which I have seen in the store, is on sale for $699.

Does anyone have any experience with these sets or their close cousins at the 30" size? I'm sure HDTV set prices will continue to drop over the next few years, but I just happen to be in the market now for a new set. This is a lot more than I would normally spend for a TV, but widescreen and HD are incredibly attractive to me.

The set seems to have all the inputs and basic features I could ever need. Component inputs; 480i, 480p, 1080i; 3-line digital comb filter; and velocity scan modulation(?).

This is a first-time post for me in Display Devices (although I've been around the HTF for quite awhile). Most of what you guys talk about here is WAY above my head. I'm just hoping someone can assure me I'm looking at a quality unit for the price range...or warn me to stay away at all costs. Thanks!

2. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

I own the Samsung 30 inch and am generally happy with it. The remote died after 2 months, but I have a universal. There is some distortion on the edges (curves w/ bright colors) but this is something I've heard is inherent in flat displays. I plan to do what I can to minimize this issue, but have not found the time yet. If you're spending $699, I recomment looking for a 30 inc for just a little more. You can probably pick up a 30 at Sam's for around $799-$849. This will produce a much larger picture. My 30 is a little small for me, so I'm thinking of moving up to a 34 inch Sony. I do wish my 30 had dvi inputs. Does the new 26 have this feature? I doubt it would at that price.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Hi Andy! Thanks for your input! No, no DVI inputs.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Any other thoughts from anyone?

One fear I have is that maybe I should -- for about the same price -- go with a HD 4:3 TV. Even though I desperately want to go widescreen, it almost seems like I'll end up with a bigger picture (even widescreen) by going with a larger 4:3.

I've been checking out the different websites with conversion tables. And a 32" 4:3 set has a larger picture all the way around -- even when watching widescreen material. Haven't really been pricing 32" 4:3 HD sets though.

5. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

Mike, I've only used the standard menus, no service menus yet. I have used Avia to calibrate the picture and the color and sharpness is excellent. I'm amazed daily when watching my standard cable (non digital) signal. It looks wonderful with 480p dvds, too. I'm sure I've seen the 30 (Philips or Samsung) for $899. I'm fairly certain I've seen it on sales for $849. One thing you may try, if you have a Sears or Circuit City in your area (they both carry the 30" Samsung) is getting one on open box special or on closeout. They'll often let you stack promos like gift cards or 10% off to these already low prices, too. I would highly recomment going widescreen, even if you go with a 26". Are you anywhere near NC or GA? If you were, I'd sell you my Samsung cheap because I want to upgrade to a 34 inch model w/ DVI.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

7. Bryan Garcia

Bryan Garcia Auditioning

Andy,

Sears has this TV on sale this weekend for $599.

Bryan

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Just price matched over the phone with Sears this morning! [​IMG]

Am loving this TV everybody! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Mike:

First off glad to see out and about in the forum.

Second off. Good pick up and great price.

Parker

10. Bryan Garcia

Bryan Garcia Auditioning

This deal gets even sweeter. Every Saturday morning between now and Christmas you get an extra 10% off bringing the cost down to $539.00. I just bought one this evening, and since it was close to closing the salesperson agreed to give me the Saturday morning discount tonight.

Bryan

11. AlexM.

AlexM. Extra

I picked up one at $580 after tax on Friday. I was hoping you guys could tell me your settings since I have nothing to calibrate the set with. Also does everybody use wide mode for cable viewing?

Any help or suggestions would be great,

Alex M.

12. Brian Price

Brian Price Stunt Coordinator

I also picked up this tv for $539 to use in my bedroom. I couldn't pass up that kind of deal!

I usually use either the "Widescreen" setting or the "Panoramic?" seeting to watch tv. I am going to calibrate with VE tomorrow.

Brian Price

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Just got my second price match on this set. Am now at the $539 price.

Just worth mentioning again that this is a great deal at Sears for those looking to get into WS HD at a fairly reasonable price.

And, FWIW, Sears is allowing me to do these price matches over-the-phone. VERY convenient.

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Mike, I thought you've had this set for a while now.

15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Only a few weeks, Jack! I'm still within the parameters for price-matching.

What a treat to be watching DVDs on a high-def widescreen set. The quality is unbelievable. I know that most here are watching on sets far superior to mine, but I am VERY happy to be on the cutting edge of technology for once. I am usually a few steps behind--what with a couple of kids and all. [​IMG]

Even my wife, who is hopelessly indifferent about the quality of audio and video says that even she is amazed by the picture on this set. She & I are both surprised that she would even notice, let alone be enthusiastic about the picture.

16. MattStp

MattStp Auditioning

Just got mine! I saw it friday night at sears and googled it to this forum topic. I feel the same as Mike F , being on the cutting edge is a nice treat. Thanks for all the good advice.,

17. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

Bought one Monday afternoon. 0% interest and no payments until March '05. I'm putting the money into an interest bearing account for a while. [​IMG]

Doesn't have the impact of my 65" Mistu in the downstairs home theater ... but it not only blows away the 18yo Toshiba 4:3 that it replaced in the bedroom, but the picture blows away my 36" Toshiba in the living room; even on analog CATV! Love the TV so far. [​IMG]