What's new

Any inexpensive red wine suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm looking for some inexpensive red wine to serve for a New Year's party.

Does anyone have any they would really recommend? Somewhere in the $8 to $14 bottle range. Nothing too dry.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
I'd look at Australian wines. You can find several very good reds in your price range from wineries such as Penfolds, Rosemount, and others. I've yet to be disappointed by an Australian red, especially a Shiraz or Shiraz/Cabernet blend.

-greg

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to try some of the Australian wines. I have had the Yellow Tail Cabernet from Australia and like that.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I'll third the Aussie wines. :D

I have yet to meet an Aussie Shiraz I haven't enjoyed. For the more inexpensive varieties, Rosemount is a favorite of mine...Wolf Blass is nice too... I prefer the green label, as opposed to the brown.

For something fun in a (non-Aussie) Shiraz... try Fat Bastard. It's not the most fantastic Shiraz I've had, but it was nice, and the name alone was worth the price. ;)

Jin E

Second Unit
Charles Shaw Merlot from Trader Joes. If you can find it that is. It's gotten such a fan base now that it goes out the door as soon as they get it in. Best wine in the world? No. But at $2-3 for a bottle it is worth 4-5 times it's asking price.

At a little over $10 a bottle I really like the Ravenswood Vinter's Blend Zinfandel. Also on my $10 list is the Rosemount Shiraz. At this price point the Aussies make some excellent wines.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Bryan,

Where do you live? Wine is not distributed nor priced evenly throughout the US. E.g. around here the Ravenswood Vintner's Blend Zin goes for $5-6 a bottle. Also, what exactly do you mean by "not too dry". Red wine is almost exclusively dry.

LewB

Screenwriter
At the top end ($14), I really like Francis Coppola's Merlot. Plus there is the HT tie-in. You could even screen GF 1 since there is a section of the film that takes place on new year's :) :)

P.S. Happy New Year !

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Yeah, I know red wine is generally dry. Some just seems to be moreso than others. But then again, I just may not be correctly describing the wine as I am fairly new to this.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Another vote for Ravenswood Vintners Blend. A little bit higher up the price scale, I recently tried a Rodney Strong Chalk Hill Merlot that I really liked. You may be able to find it on sale at the upper end of your range. For a nice chianti, try one from Castello Di Gabbiano, they have a couple in your range.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
You don't have to spend anywhere close to $10. Grab one of those gallons off the end cap in walmart for $6.50, that's the good stuff. Unfortunately, I met someone once that told me this and was not kidding. It was not surprising to find him puking up macaroni later. Ahhh, nothing better then those college memories, and they say you go to get an education.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Chateau Larose Trintaudon is a great burgundy. It's about $15 and even though I like to expirament with different wines, this wine is something I always go back to. This link is to a 1995 vintage from a 2000 review. You won't find 1995 in stores, but the recent vintages are just as good. Put one away for a year or two and it will blow your socks off!

My brother gave me a bottle of this when we sold our family liquor store. I was 22 at the time and was more into Boone's Farm than any other wine. He told me to put it in my sock drawer for a few years. I laughed, but when I drank it on my 25th birthday, I didn't laugh. I'm still buying it and I'll be 35 in February.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I like Montes Merlot, a Chilean wine. It's really smooth, and at around $6 a bottle, can't be beat!

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Depending on the year and whether its reserve or no; I find Chateau St Michelle Merlots for 6 (on sale) to 18. I usually pay about 8 to 12 for it. A wonderful inexpensive red.

In general, Very smooth. Velvety fruit ripeness, without the astringent lingering aftertaste which I (NOT a wine person) think you might equate with “too dry”. Interesting complex favors for some years bottling with what I think of as just the (good side) border line of spice or bite, -with supple and lush berry. (supple berry, - whoops my own terminology but that’s semi descriptive :) ) When looking up spelling I noticed it originates Washington State,…shows how much I pay attention to labels as I picked up my first bottle on recommend from a friend and have been buying it since. Columbia Valleys oldest winery with vines planted in the 50’s, I just discovered!

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Try this if you can find it:

Langhorne Crossing
Cabernet Sauvignon (70%) / Shiraz (30%) Mix
Produced and bottled by Bleasdale Vineyards, AU

$8... I didn't expect it to be that good, but it was so well done I went back and bought a case! The trick is the reverse of the usual Shiraz/Cab mix; it's smooth and less peppery.

MC

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Perhaps Bryan is thinking of the effect of the tanins when saying "too dry"...

Bryan, I'm talking about that feeling of all the moisture getting sucked out of the inside of your cheeks. Makes you kinda pucker up... ya know? Am I right?

If that's the case, I still stand by my recommendation of the Aussie Shiraz family. Try that Rosemount Estates one everyone is recommending ... I think you'll enjoy.

Sorry. Just turned green for a moment. Maybe it's the season? ;)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Definately give the Aussie wines a try, there are some excellent wines from Down under.

I recently came across Wishing Tree Shiraz at only $8.45 a bottle and it was as good as any shiraz I've had at double or triple the price! (you might want to decant this wine an hour or two before drinking however.)
Mouton Cadet is a good value Bordeaux in your price range.

Also check ou the Masi Valpolicella which is another realy good value wine.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks for all the suggestions! I picked up a bottle of Black Swan Cabernet and a bottle of Wolf Blass Shiraz. I think I may have to grab a bottle of the Rosemount many of you are recommending too. :D

I'll let you know how I like them.

Can someone briefly explain the general qualities/taste differences between a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Shiraz?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks