any ideas on why my pic quality is diminished?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MarkSherm, Dec 31, 2003.

1. MarkSherm

MarkSherm Auditioning

Originally had my 42" TV hooked directly up to my DishNetwork 501PVR Receiver via S-video cable and PQ was great.

Now I have the Dish Receiver S-Video hooked up to a Panasonic DVD Player/Recorder which then has an S-Video running out of it and into the TV (basically only difference from previous set-up is the DVD Recorder/Player in-between the TV and Receiver). PQ in this situation appears good except for certain instances....such as close-ups of flesh (such as a face) where the shades between various flesh-tones is distorted (looks more like rough computer game graphics rather than the smooth color transition found in film quality graphics).

Is the fault with my new S-Video cable (perhaps not as high quality as the original S-Video cable)?
    Would I fair better by running the video through the Yellow component video cable rather than the S-Video?
    Or is this just something I have to live with by having the DVD recorder acting as the go-between from the receiver to the TV?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

It could be either the cable or the DVD recorder doing something to the signal. No way should you drop to composite (single RCA cable).

Try this: Hook the TV directly up to the PVR with one of the SVideo cables. Freeze a scene - perhaps on the program guide. Now switch the SVideo cable for the other one.

If both cables produce a similar picture, then you might assume it's the DVD recorder causing problems.

Re-connect everything with the same screen frozen on the TV. Does the image quality look bad again? (Sometimes you can solve problems by just disconnecting/reconnecting the wires.)

3. MarkSherm

MarkSherm Auditioning

Sorry for the belated "thanks", Bob. Your advice steered me to the correct solution - the cables WERE the problem! The composite and s-video cables were both creating poor picture quality, so i upgraded (for $20) to component video cables and the PQ was great.
    Thanks!