What's new

any ideas on how to improve mysetup (1 Viewer)

MarcianoD

Grip
Ok I am looking to upgrade a bit maybe, I def want to do some things to make it look a bit better.

Right now I have the following.

Phillips 60 Inch HDTV
Sony 700 watt 5.1 surround sound
Sony dvd progressive scan dvd
I just bought a new speaker set By Sony the Extended Response 535 Model.

Now I am not all that satisfied with my phillips, I have to adjust the multipoints weekly. I have sent it back once already because the tv picture started to get offset on an angle. I am thinking of moving my phillips downstairs and getting a new dlp.

upstairs living room as best as I can. I also want to upgrade to a 7.1 surround sound. NOw I also want a central control in two rooms that I can run from one reciever/dvd Does anyone know of a place I can purchase these items from for the central control.

and what are you views of dlp. The only negative thing I have heard of, is the black levels.

Thanks for your help.

Money is not really an object I dont want to spend more than 2500k though, not including the tv.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Marciano,

First, welcome to the Forum!

Now I also want a central control in two rooms that I can run from one reciever/dvd Does anyone know of a place I can purchase these items from for the central control.
Not sure I understand. “Central control in two rooms” is a conflict in terms, y’know what I mean?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MarcianoD

Grip
sorry about that, Basicaly I have my upstairs living room and another room downstairs. I want my reciever and dvd player to be upstairs and a control unit where I can run I can control it from downstairs,
So I guess I would only need a control unit downstairs. I looked at a setup like that at a local store but they only do complete packages and theirs started in the 25k range.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Still a little confused, Marciano. You want to control an upstairs DVD player when you’re downstairs? What, are you playing mean tricks on the poor folks upstairs watching the DVD? :D

All you really need is some kind of remote extender like this one from Radio Shack. Other stores sell them, too.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MarcianoD

Grip
Ok here is what I want

two tvs, one upstairs one downstairs.
I want one dvd and reciever, Upstairs
I want to be able to go downstairs and control the dvd volume and what on the tv downstairs, even though it is upstairs via a central control unit. I have seen these in a couple places but the companys will only do the installs themselves and will not sell you the electronics So that is what I am wanting to find. Is a distributor that can sell me the things needed to hook up that type of setup.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Marciano,

I think you’re overlooking that you (most likely) have two separate issues here. I understand you want to control things from downstairs, but before that can happen you have to have something to control. In other words, you first have to have picture and sound on your downstairs TV. The remote control part is easy; getting the picture and audio downstairs – not so easy.

You didn’t mention anything about a downstairs audio system, so I assume there’s nothing to consider on that front. That leaves the DVD player.

Like I mentioned, if the DVD player is upstairs, you have to get audio and video from it to the TV downstairs. Typically this involves some cabling between the two pieces. If your upstairs receiver is 5.1, you can use the DVD player’s analog (L/R RCA jacks) for the audio send. Any unused video output on the DVD player will do for the video send.

However if cabling between the two pieces is a logistical problem, I’ve heard that you can get devices that will transmit the audio and video wirelessly – you might try Radio Shack, smarthome.com etc. for stuff like that. Alternately, you might try posting a new thread asking specifically for recommendations for wireless A/V transmitter/receivers, and I’m confident you’ll get some recommendations.

Once you get the signals to the downstairs TV, the remote question should be obvious – you can control the volume with the downstairs TV’s remote. If you wish to control DVD functions from downstairs – pause, slo-mo, chapter skip, etc. – the remote extenders I mentioned in my previous thread will allow you to do that.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MarcianoD

Grip
here is what I have accomplished so far,

I have the wiring and cabling ran alrady, I have rca plates and wiring ran from the upstairs wall downstairs, and the speaker wire is already ran also.
basically I am wanting to upgrade to an amp/reciever/dvd that can run the two different locations.

The ones I have seen that i want is there is an lcd panel about 8 inches long on the wall, that accepts a remote. this will control each locations tv/sound but is being delieverd from one location.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Looks like I’m the only one inclined to respond to this thread! Hope that’s okay, Marciano. :)

If there are LCD panels involved, that sounds like AMX, Crestron, etc., and those products typically are only available through installation companies, because they are complex and require a lot of programming and are typically used on elaborate multi-room systems.

However, for a simple application like you want, and with a lot of the wiring already in place, I can’t imagine 25k being the entry-level price. I suggest shopping around at some other dealers and see what they have.

That said, Marciano, I can understand the coolness factor of an LCD panel, but it seems really out of place and overkill for your application. Maybe I’m missing something, but it seems a little pointless to have a LCD panel on the wall just so you can fire a remote at it. The remote extenders I mentioned will give you the control you need for well under $100.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks