What's new

Any ideas for a "Speaker Level to Line Level" Subwoofer input solution? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I just bought a Mirage BPS-400 and must wait until I obtain my receiver before I can use it. My integrated amp does not have line level subwoofer outputs. If I could find something to convert, then I could use the subwoofer while waiting for the SR7200 to arrive.
Any ideas? I posted this as a WTB in the classified's.
A Paradigm X-20 would be perfect. An X-10 would actually do the job just as well. Or a Mirage LFX xover of some kind. I don't want to spend too much. Anybody have any suggestions?
One option I have considered, is when I buy my speakers, I could pay up front for a receiver and ask the store to provide a loaner, or a solution to allow me to hook up my Subwoofer for now. I purchased the subwoofer elsewhere, as they do not carry the brand and it was on sale for about $650.00 US ($750.00 US including tax) or $1092.00 CAD after taxes. Couldn't pass it up. It was the only store I found selling for that price, $400.00 less than any of the other stores.
So any ideas for me? The SR 7200 will likely not be available until August! Or even worse, later than that!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Chris,
Much of your post is unclear. What is the X-10 or -20 for? Doesn’t the Mirage have a built-in crossover? You posted what in the classifieds, questions about your situation??
Does your integrated amp have pre-out and main-in jacks? If so you could use them to send an unfiltered signal to your sub, using a “Y” splitter.
There are simple ways to adapt a speaker level signal to line level, but you will have to be handy with custom wiring and soldering to accomplish it.
Alternately, you might post a question on one of the car audio forums. It’s probable that somewhere in the car audio world someone makes some sort of speaker-to-line-level converter.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
It’s probable that somewhere in the car audio world someone makes some sort of speaker-to-line-level converter.
I'm pretty sure those exist. Lots of car stereo head units only have speaker-level outputs, so you need the converters to hook up external amplifiers.

DanP

Agent
A company called Sonance makes a speaker level to line level converter called an OP3. I bought one from a local high end audio store for about 25.00. Not sure where you might find one locally.
Look here for some info on it..
Link Removed
------------------

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thats what I'm looking for essentially. My post states that I have no line level subwoofer putput on my integrated amp. I have nothing but speaker level outputs (apart from using a tape monitor loop, but thats not off the pre-amp and therefore no volume control response).
An X-10 excepts speaker wires from an amp and has a line level output. An X-20 is the same but has a HP filter and a subwoofer xover. They are $150.00 each though, vs the $25.00 you guys mention.
Hope that clears it up Wayne. The other guys knew what I was talking about, but you're not the first person who doesn't know what I mean. Its because I have a 12 year old amp. I'm upgrading one part at a time and I was waiting for the Marantz receiver, which might be another month.
thanks for the tips guys, I'll check out the Sonance and the car stereo stuff.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestions folks. Got a Paradigm X-10 subwoofer control.
Put a deposit down on my PSB image speakers and a Marantz SR 7200 at Whitby Audio. Matt, the guy I deal with, lent me a Paradigm X-10 until I get my receiver and it'll work perfectly. Speaker in, high pass speaker out and 2 line level subwoofer outputs.
Does anyone know what the xover is in the High Pass filter of the X-10?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks