Any ideas for a center speaker stand to be place in front of the tv....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luis Gabriel Gerena, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

Jul 18, 2000
    I like the way my center sounds in front of the tv better than on top of it but now I need a nice looking stand for it that at the same time allows me to see the other gear behind it (receiver and dvd inside the tv stand). Any ideas, diagrams, etc...
    Thanks all
  2. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Jun 20, 1999
    I wish I could take a picture of my stand and post it [​IMG]
    I made it out of 2x2 fir. The actual width/depth of the wood is about 1.5"x1.5". I have 4 legs on each corner, 2 horizontal braces on the front, rear and sides, and the top was open, but my speaker needed more height so I added a 3/4" thick piece of MDF. If you wanted to spend a little money and make it even more see-through (and professional looking), I'd suggest visiting a metal shop and seeing what they would charge to weld a stand made from .75"x.75" square stock.
  3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Oct 1, 2000
    You can use speaker stands of the appropriate height - those that can be filled with sand or heavy metal (Target, Lovan) work well. I have seen the set-up many times with people putting the stands on each end of the center to leave a gap in the middle for the remote to see the equipment. My other suggestion would be get a black (or wood or white or whatever color you choose) laminate shelf at one of the home stores of the appropriate width and length and support it with short decorative columns you can get at florists or home stores, something made from 2x4s or 4x4s or whatever.