What's new

Any HTF'ers into Jeepin' ??? (1 Viewer)

Chris Rosene

Second Unit
I have an 81 CJ7 built for off-road (lift kit, lockers, tow hooks, oversize tires, etc) but I have never been off-road in the 4 years I've owned it. I'm dying to go tearing through some mud, rivers, rocks, etc.
The reason I'm asking is there is a Jeep Jamboree coming to Wisconsin in mid-September. Anyone have any experience with these ?? My wife is not interested, and I'm not quite the social butterfly to go by myself, but maybe if a fellow HTF'er were going :) I don't know.

Van Patton

Second Unit
I used to be into it really big until my Jeep was in the shop once every month. I have a 98 TJ with 31" BFG MTKM's, a 2" lift, exhaust, etc. It was fun but the hobby costs too much especially since that is my daily driver. A good Jeep related site is www.jeepsunlimited.com They have a great forum there.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
What!!!!!! That is blasphemous! If you have said vehicle what is the hold up?? I myself have a 97 TJ with 2" body lift, oversized tires, and tow hooks. Nothing special but seems to get the job done. Where is this Jeep Jamboree(city)?

Chris Rosene

Second Unit
Chet

I got nowhere to go!!!!!!!

This Jamboree is in Crandon, WI. About 4 hours north of Milwaukee. $225 buys you 7 meals, guides, and access to trails.

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I used to own a 1980 CJ-7. That truck was off road more than it was on. I laugh at today's SUV's that never get off the road. People thought I was crazy for owning a jeep back then. Guess I was just ahead of my time. The jamboree is serious stuff. Better get some off road time in before you attempt something like that. You'd be surprised where you can find places that exist for off roading. Start talking to others with similar trucks in your area. Talk to some people at the local shops that do lifts for trucks. You'll find places you never knew existed. You need to gain some experience to know your truck's performance and clearance capabilities. If you get into serious off roading be sure to invest in a winch. It will pay for itself the first time you get stuck. If you don't get stuck, you aren't off roading. Rock crawling will also take some skills. Rock crawling is actually easier if you have an automatic. If you have a manual you will have to learn to occasionally stall while crawling over rocks. You need to always keep a tire on the rocks and not your under carriage! You will have a great time believe me.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm dying to go tearing through some mud, rivers, rocks, etc.
"Tearing" is not a good term for this. Tread Lightly. You NEVER drive off-road like they show in the commercials. It's slow going.
I used to have a 4x4 Isuzu Amigo, a very Jeep-like vehicle, but with a half a pickup bed in the back. I took it off road near the WV border a few times (serious off-road trails) and on the beach at North Carolina's Outer Banks a couple times as well (I admit I did drive like "Rat Patrol" on the beach - just a little). Great fun!

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"This Jamboree is in Crandon, WI."
This is about 5.5 hours from me. What dates? What kind of trails? Recommended Jeep configuration if specified? The reason I ask this is because some trails are just too much for my Jeep configuration. I am not too worried about the mud or brush but if the guides are using 34" tires and a 4" lift then I would simply be out of my class. I have taken my Jeep through more things than I care to admit but I know my limitations also. I guess I would prefer more info about the trails in specific. Thanks :)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Tony Mothka
That's why everything is now bolted down or locked up. They can still break in but they won't get a damn thing.:)

Chris Rosene

Second Unit
Mine is only a spring to fall vehicle. The top and doors come off in late May, go in the basement, and get put back on in October :D
I've put about 1000 miles on it in the 4 years I've had it. Thats why I'm itchin' to off-road, I need/want to use this thing :angry:

Van Patton

Second Unit
If they're still there you can go to www.webshots.com and search for photos under my name rocktop15 there. I have some pictures on there from where I was a hair away from it rolling over.

Users who are viewing this thread