What's new

Any HTF Members Reside In or Near HENDERSON, NEVADA? (1 Viewer)

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
When you have a few moments, would you be willing to share a little information about the area with me. I'm 57, and I've lived in CT my entire life. As I'm nearing the "golden years" I've been speculating what it would be like to move to another part of the country that has warmer weather, and most importantly, lower taxes. One concern I have about your area is the ongoing water crisis. I've read reports that there's a 50% chance that Lake Mead could dry up in less than 10 years! Any information that you would care to share with me about your experiences (both good and bad) in or near Henderson would be much appreciated.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I don't live anywhere near Nevada, but hang out at this forum for a general discussion of the area: http://www.city-data.com/forum/las-vegas/

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I can't speak to the water situation with any authority, and things like the weather and cost of living are easy to find online. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I will answer the best I can.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Reed:
Wow. Good lord!
That's one heckuva lifestyle -- or rather, environmental -- change you're considering there.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Chas in CT said:
Reed: Wow.  Good lord!   That's one heckuva lifestyle -- or rather, environmental -- change you're considering there.     
Chas, I already have "one heckuva lifestyle" ;) And you don't need to shovel sunshine.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I am not quite as near (I am 53) to making a retirement move, but that doesn't stop me from thinking about it....a lot. There is no way in hell I will retire in the people's republic of Marylandistan. Sunshine and low taxes are certainly a major draw, but have you considered alternatives to the southwest (don't get me wrong - I love the southwest and spent a good portion of my life there) such as Tennessee or the Carolina's? I am trying to plan a series of short vacations for the Mrs. and me to various areas over the next few years to get a fix on where we will retire. My biggest wet dream is to be an ex-pat in Costa Rica...

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I am not saying this happens often and it is nothing like other parts of the country - but - check out these pictures of Henderson City Hall. There was some shoveling going on for a few days. In fact, the City had to shut down because there aren't any snow plows in the Vegas valley.
b21c6d39_snow2.PNG
54e6c1df_snow1.PNG
9ac8ce97_snow3.PNG

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
ChristopherG said:
have you considered alternatives to the southwest (don't get me wrong - I love the southwest and spent a good portion of my life there) such as Tennessee or the Carolina's?
My next door neighbor bought a lot in SC about a year ago. He wants to move down there and start building his dream home in the worst way, but hasn't been able to sell his house here. He tells me that once he's a resident in SC, his yearly property tax would be about $350 (It's around $6,000 in CT!).

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Reed Grele
My next door neighbor bought a lot in SC about a year ago. He wants to move down there and start building his dream home in the worst way, but hasn't been able to sell his house here.
He tells me that once he's a resident in SC, his yearly property tax would be about $350 (It's around $6,000 in CT!).
might be worth a little vacation time.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks