What's new

Any HTF members own a Peloton Bike? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, did you ever pull the trigger on one of these?

Chris, I did.

Bought and took possession of a bike around December 15th.

It was a very expensive purchase. The monthly cost isn't cheap at $40, but I have no regrets.

I belonged to their Facebook group before buying the bike and read all of these testimonials from people who said that the bike changed their life. And, of course, you can read all that and still remain skeptical.

I can't say it changed my life, but it has greatly improved it. I am more toned than I ever have been from running or brisk walking on the treadmill.

The Peloton classes are really fun to take. My only annoyance would be that everyone who teaches looks like a model and there's a lot of scripted words of "be the best you can be" shoved down your throat with every ride, but through all that mush I must say that I get a workout that is really catered to my needs.

Want to do a light ride? A heavy one? 20 or 30 minutes? There are dozens of rides available to stream either live or recorded that match just how much you want to work out.

I started 20 minutes a day doing the beginner's ride. Less than two weeks later I had strengthened my legs and stamina to do a 30-minute advanced beginner ride. Now I just to do the plain 30-minute ride and I am working my way towards 45 minutes.

Usually, I only have the stamina to burn 260 calories tops in 30 minutes. Today, I surprised myself with 327.

So, what this bike and the accompanying encouragement/instruction does is motivate you. I am really surprised how far I have come in just over 6 weeks.

Meanwhile, I continue to watch this bike become sort of a phenomenon -- or at least the idea of it that has spread into other companies like Echelon and Soul Cycle.

As someone who does not like going to the gym, I feel as if I am absolutely getting my money's worth being able to not have to get into my car, deal with other people, and just be able to work out on my own time.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Chiming in here to add to Ron's comments (disclaimer: I learnt of Ron's interest in Peloton via Facebook, and I emailed him my perspectives as an owner).

Been an owner since Dec 2017, and still enjoy it very much. Yes, it's expensive, and not for everyone. Some days I'll get off the bike feeling drained, and others I'll feel like I achieved a goal. But I find it's easier to stay motivated.

Why a Peloton? For me, it was mainly the convenience factor (plus the thousands of classes, both recorded and live). Joined a gym back in NJ around 2002, but only went 3 times over 6 months before canceling. Main reasons being: (1) having young kids, and (2) it's just so easy to say no to going to the gym during winter. :)

With a piece of exercise equipment at home (I also had a regular stationary exercise bike before Peloton), I can do my exercise on my own timetable and with no need to haul myself to a gym. And that's worth it for me.

Cheers,

Joe

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Ron and Joe,

That's great feedback. Glad to hear you guys are both happy and that it is working out as hoped. I've been looking into one of these as well and your experience with it firsthand is helpful.

Regards,
Chris

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Interesting thread. I've heard of these. Personally, I already own a stationary bike, an elliptical, a basic weight machine and some free weights. The problem for me has always been motivation. I struggle to spend 20 minutes in my home gym yet I can spend 2 hours doing yard work with no problem. If I did that every day maybe my waist would be smaller. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Glad to hear folks enjoy their Peloton! (I’ve found the best thing for me is to have a membership at a gym within walking distance.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks