Any HT (klipsch) discounters on the West Coast?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Tubbiola, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Tom Tubbiola

Tom Tubbiola Stunt Coordinator

In doing my research online for my new HT setup I've found a large number of discounters. Almost all of them seem to be in the NY/NJ area. I can't wait another week for my center channel and was hoping I could just drive somewhere. I'm in Huntington Beach, CA which is just south of LA.

Thanks,

Tom

2. Jeffrey G

Jeffrey G Agent

3. Michael Klein

Tom,

Try your local yellow pages. Find a couple of authorized Klipsch dealers, and pay a few visits. It has been my experience that Klipsch speakers are highly negotiable in price. In fact, I did better at a fully authorized dealer than I could have at any of the questionable online places.

When I bought my RF-3s and RC-3 at an AV store (name escapes me, this was last year) on 14th and Wilshire in Santa Monica, they had them listed at full MSRP--then $800 per pair for the RF-3s and $400 for the RC-3. There was no way I was going to pay that, so I negotiated for a while with the salesman. I started off just asking about a pair of RF-3s, then I added the RC-3, then another pair of RF-3s, then a receiver (Integra 7.1), all of which I wanted anyway. Each time I mentioned something new, I saw the salesman get more and more excited (he didn't know I was doing it on purpose, he just saw a bigger and bigger sale materializing). We both won--he sold five speakers and a receiver, and I got a steep discount from MSRP. I paid $500/pair for my two pairs of RF-3s, and $250 for the RC-3. I also got a nice discount on the receiver, so if you want to do it all at once and there's a dealer who has everything you want, this is the way to go.

Even if you just need the center channel, if you need a bargaining chip, you can always hint around that you might upgrade other things in the future. Establishing a lasting customer relationship should be important to any salesman, and if they treat you right, you will be back.

4. Tom Tubbiola

Tom Tubbiola Stunt Coordinator

Excellent advice. I'll take a look today.

Thanks,

Tom