Any hot sauce fan here?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by EarleD, Jul 20, 2002.

1. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I just love a good Hot sauce. Some of my favorites are Daves Insanity and Rasberry Thunder. Daves is definatly the hotter of the 2, but is nothing compared to Da Bomb or Mad Dog.
    I even make spicy mayo by adding about a teaspoon or so of Mad Dog to a jar of mayo. Mix a you have the best damn sandwich condiment around.

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

As an african, hot sauce for me is a way of life.

--
    Holadem

3. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

i like a good tex-mex hot sauce

i guess some people call it salsa, but its hot sauce in Texas mexican food

4. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

I love some good hot sauce. Tabasco doesn't quite float my boat though - it hurts more than taste good. I also like chilli sauce with garlic..... mmm.

5. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Count me in. We had a "hot sauce thread" a year or so ago, and I couldn't read it without salivating.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce, but a good jalapeno-based sauce is great, too.

I love Tex-Mex, but Thai food has the best hot stuff I know of. Yeah, the endorphins are great, but to me, taste (believe it or not) is just as important.

6. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

The best and most flavorful hot sauce I have tried so far has to be "Chalula". It's not nose running hot, but it packs a kick, and it doesn't taste like pepper, which is good.

7. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

I like hot sauce but Dave's Insanity sauce was a bit much for me. When I tried it I seemed to have a mouthful of instant pain an no flavor. Wouldn't go away for quite a while either. About the best tasting sauce I have found yet is the green Tabasco made with jalapenos. I like jalapeno peppers on my mexican food too but that insanity sauce was just too damn hot for me.

8. Craig

Craig Second Unit

From Trinidad/Tobago - Matouk's Salsa (papaya, not tomato based). Bought at Krogers. A mature hot sauce, doesn't sacrifice taste for heat (but is still HOT!) Aged pickled Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Papaya & spices. This is a moderately thick sauce that's great over roasted chicken, pork or even salads (pour moderately or dip). It's hot, but the heat comes on slowly.

The papaya makes it a very smooth sauce and helps counteract some of the immediate heat. Make no mistake however, it is hot, it just takes a little while to feel it.

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'll second Matouks - nice heat, good, but not overbearing flavor. I still have a bottle of their Calypso I haven't tried yet.

Patak's curry pastes are a way of life around here, great in rice with some diced tomatoes. Vindaloo, Madras, Hot Curry or the heatless Biriyani, Tandoori or Masala versions. Top it off with a nice sweet chili sauce, regular garlic chili sauce (Spiracha), or Frank's Red Hot...

Miranda's makes an awesome mustard habanero sauce. Haven't been able to find it locally though.

I don't find Dave's very appealing.

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

And now a story about Da Bomb hot sauce:
    I was at my friend's cousin's apt on a warm fall eve. He was entertaining some guests when the topic of hot sauces was brought up. He brought over the tiny bottle of Da Bomb and warned me to be careful. He dabbed a pin pirck of the volatile potion on my finger. When the shock of pain and heat hit me, I was in a different world for a few minutes. I dashed to the kitchen and inhaled bread like it was water.
    Then my buddy Mark volunteered to try some. This time too much was dabbed on his finger. We all warned him to STOP! from sucking down the dangerous toxin. The shock instanly hit him, and he had to resist from throwing up. I fed him ben and jerry's for a few minutes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I had a bottle of Pure Cap, but it was dangerous. Use a little too much and you could almost feel your stomach peeling. A buddy of mine got some on his face at a party and ended up in the shower. It was actually burning his skin. That was when it sent in the garbage. You actually have to sign a waiver to buy it.

Rasberry thunder has a great berry taste followed by nice heat. Daves is very hot but definatly has its own flavor. Endorphin Rush is hot, but has a sweet taste followed by a punch that can make you sweat for awhile.

I love all these sauces in most foods. Add alittle spice to your next meal

12. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Thanks, Craig. You just described what I consider to be the perfect hot sauce. [​IMG] I'll be sure to check it out.

13. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Another hot sauce fan here. I don't usually buy hot sauce - my mother makes it fresh with home-grown tomatoes and peppers. Hot and yummy!

14. ben hunt

ben hunt Stunt Coordinator

Endorphine Rush

definately the hottest hot sauce out there.

A dab the size of a pinhead has effect...no lie.

get some but be careful.

15. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Ben

I disagree about Endorphin rush being the hottest, Try Da Bomb, it can amke you cry with its heat.

Steve,

A buddy of mine worked with this guy and his mom made a hot pepper relish that was great but HOT . It was great on a hot dog.

16. Mike Hutman

Mike Hutman Supporting Actor

Is that the stuff you would bring into work? That was some good eating. I love those beef sandwiches you make.

17. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

My favorites:
    Busha Browne's Pukka Hot Sauce(made from Jamaican Scotch Bonnet peppers)
    Doc's Special
    El Yucateco Habenero

All available at Mohotta.com (not affiliated with them). They also send you a catalog that lists the Scoville units of each sauce which makes arguements over which is hotter moot.

18. HienN

HienN Stunt Coordinator

Another [​IMG] for http://www.mohotta.com . Their catalog of hot sauces is huge and the rating system is useful. Very nice helpful people too. These hot sauce companies get too creative with their product names (inhaling too much of their own stuff?) so it can be hard to tell which is hotter without the rating system.
    Normally for spaghetti and omelets, I stick with regular Tabasco sauce because I like the vinegary taste of it. The hottest I have tried is "Ass Kickin' Original Hot Sauce - Kick Yo' Ass Hot" but it rates only 7 out of 10. I am going nowhere near a true 10 [​IMG]

19. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i have in excess of 20 bottles/jars of different hot sauces in my fridge right now, most are habenaro based. i can't think of the last meal i had that i didn't use hot sauce of some kind.
    my current "daily" use is Yucatan Sunshine, good flavor and not terribly hot.
    one of my favorite restraunts in the Portland area is a Carribian place in Hillsdale, Salavdor Molly's. last time i ate there i had their ribs, spiced up to heat level 14 (they go to 20, if you order anthing over 10, they make sure you've had it before.) it was so hot i became euphoric from the endorphins.[​IMG]

20. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Considering that I just purchased a case of hot sauce over the internet and had it sent to my work, I guess I qualify as a hot sauce lover.
    People in my office thought I ordered some wine...you shoulda seen the weird looks I got when I opened up the box and showed them it was hot sauce....
    FWIW...I have had many hot sauces but this is my favorite (and all I use now)
    F. Mclinktocks Cowboy Hot Sauce from the Central California Coast