What's new

Any hope of better release of Three and Four Musketeers? (1 Viewer)

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Remember the Three and Four Musketeers movies from the mid-1970s? Raquel Welch, Michael York, Richard Chamberlain etc. Great fun!
I would sure like nice DVD copies of these, but from what I can gather only botched fox/lorber DVDs are available with the tops and bottoms of the picture literally lopped off to create a mild 'widescreen' effect - but in reality even worse than P&S.
Does anyone have any news on whether any improvements might be in the works?
Many thanks, Dan

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
There is a Japanese 16x9 DVD of both movies on 1 disc. It is on Pioneer PIBF-7191. One problem is I do not know the OAR and this movie seems to be in 1:85. IMDB says the OAR is 2:35.
Price is 6800 yen or about $60
[Edited last by Tomoko Noguchi on October 22, 2001 at 06:43 PM]

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
AMC used to show these all the time (well before they started running commercials) and I have them on S-VHS letterboxed at 1.85:1. The transfers are much better than the DVD's (which I also own). They have Warner Bros. logos on them after the films, but I doubt that they have the video rights to them.
I'd love to see beautiful re-mastered 16x9 enhanced versions of these movies.
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The AMC broadcast versions are better than the Fox Lorber DVDs. The Fox Lorber DVDs, at approximately 1.66:1, are severely cropped on all four sides and actually have less information on the top and bottom than the 1.85:1 AMC broadcasts. The colors also appear less faded on the AMC versions. The current DVDs are a disaster, especially since they ruin the framing of the fight choreagraphy.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I have the Fox Lorber DVDs, and they are pretty bad. Still, the movies are so great that I have to have them. I'd really love for Criterion to pick these up and do them properly along with Lester's brilliant Robin and Marian.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Geeze! I'd been wondering about these dvds for a long time. Glad I held off. These are some of my favorite films from childhood. I actually got to meet Michael York on the set of Logan's Run, and all I could say when my mom introduced us was "D'artangen!!". Then I just stared at him like an idiot. He laughed, shook my hand and went about his business. Guess I was a bit starstruck. Hell, I was what, 6? Anyway, I've seen these dvds for fair prices, around ten bucks a piece, but I think I'll still hold off. If I can get 'em both for ten, maybe, but no OAR? Cropping on ALL sides?!? Nah, I'll wait.
------------------
"Who made it?! The Shark!?!"
Please sign this Hammer Films petition, thanks!
http://www.petitiononline.com/Hammer/petition.html

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I saw the "Three Musketeers" when it first came out and loved it. My dad, no great fan, thought Raquel Welch was wonderful. I never did see the second film. When I saw both films at my local Navy Exchange I was very happy. Then I picked up the box and could hear that the DVD was loose and the center spindle of the case was broken. I was very disappointed. I then read about the quality of the release and was really upset. I earnestly hope that these two films get the treatment they deserve. I nice double disc set would be nice since they are really two parts of the same film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks