Any hope of better release of Three and Four Musketeers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Lindley, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Remember the Three and Four Musketeers movies from the mid-1970s? Raquel Welch, Michael York, Richard Chamberlain etc. Great fun!
    I would sure like nice DVD copies of these, but from what I can gather only botched fox/lorber DVDs are available with the tops and bottoms of the picture literally lopped off to create a mild 'widescreen' effect - but in reality even worse than P&S.
    Does anyone have any news on whether any improvements might be in the works?
    Many thanks, Dan

2. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

There is a Japanese 16x9 DVD of both movies on 1 disc. It is on Pioneer PIBF-7191. One problem is I do not know the OAR and this movie seems to be in 1:85. IMDB says the OAR is 2:35.
    Price is 6800 yen or about $60
    [Edited last by Tomoko Noguchi on October 22, 2001 at 06:43 PM]

3. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    AMC used to show these all the time (well before they started running commercials) and I have them on S-VHS letterboxed at 1.85:1. The transfers are much better than the DVD's (which I also own). They have Warner Bros. logos on them after the films, but I doubt that they have the video rights to them.
    I'd love to see beautiful re-mastered 16x9 enhanced versions of these movies.
    Neil
    ------------------
    "Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The AMC broadcast versions are better than the Fox Lorber DVDs. The Fox Lorber DVDs, at approximately 1.66:1, are severely cropped on all four sides and actually have less information on the top and bottom than the 1.85:1 AMC broadcasts. The colors also appear less faded on the AMC versions. The current DVDs are a disaster, especially since they ruin the framing of the fight choreagraphy.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

5. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I have the Fox Lorber DVDs, and they are pretty bad. Still, the movies are so great that I have to have them. I'd really love for Criterion to pick these up and do them properly along with Lester's brilliant Robin and Marian.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"

6. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Geeze! I'd been wondering about these dvds for a long time. Glad I held off. These are some of my favorite films from childhood. I actually got to meet Michael York on the set of Logan's Run, and all I could say when my mom introduced us was "D'artangen!!". Then I just stared at him like an idiot. He laughed, shook my hand and went about his business. Guess I was a bit starstruck. Hell, I was what, 6? Anyway, I've seen these dvds for fair prices, around ten bucks a piece, but I think I'll still hold off. If I can get 'em both for ten, maybe, but no OAR? Cropping on ALL sides?!? Nah, I'll wait.
    ------------------
    "Who made it?! The Shark!?!"
    Please sign this Hammer Films petition, thanks!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/Hammer/petition.html

7. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

I saw the "Three Musketeers" when it first came out and loved it. My dad, no great fan, thought Raquel Welch was wonderful. I never did see the second film. When I saw both films at my local Navy Exchange I was very happy. Then I picked up the box and could hear that the DVD was loose and the center spindle of the case was broken. I was very disappointed. I then read about the quality of the release and was really upset. I earnestly hope that these two films get the treatment they deserve. I nice double disc set would be nice since they are really two parts of the same film.