What's new

Any hope for Wild Bill Hickok and Rin Tin Tin? (1 Viewer)

William Miller

Second Unit
Two legendary shows from the 1950's seem to be totally in limbo somewhere:

The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok

The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin

I am old enough to have fond childhood memories of these shows and would love to add them to my collection.

They were both Screen Gems Productions and I assume are still part of the Columbia/Sony Empire.

Since they were both filmed shows, they still should be floating around somewhere.

I don't even see episodes on the private market, if you know what I mean. Not even on YouTube.

Do you think there is any hope for these shows to ever see the light of day?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I'd like to see an official Wild Bill Hickock release also, especially as it was an early color program.(and some episodes are out there if you look around.)

Rin Tin Tin is a real minefield as to what form it is available in. It was re-edited and colorized or sepia toned with new openings and closings with James Brown in the 70's or 80's. So that means much of the original content was edited out to make room for the new wraps and more commercials.

Four Vols. of Rin Tin Tin have been released in R2 with 65 episodes of the 164 total. AmazonUK reviewers say it is colorized, (which I don't really mind), and all the original music has been replaced,(which I do mind).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'd be in for complete (i.e. uncut) Rin Tin Tin episodes on dvd. Loved that show as a kid. WBH I have almost no memory of.

Gary "I would have purchased the R2 set of Rin Tin Tin had they not been colorized and had the music replaced" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
With respect to "Rin Tin Tin," I know that Herbert B. Leonard was the producer of the series and two of his other series, "Route 66" and "Naked City" have been partially released on DVD. But what I don't know is whether or not Leonard had any ownership percentage of "Rin Tin Tin." If I recall, Leonard had partial, perhaps even majority ownership of "Route 66" and "Naked City" and I'm guessing that's why we have seen those shows released on DVD . . . remember, these shows were not released by Sony, but by Infiinity Entertainment and Image Entertainment, respectively. If "Rin Tin Tin" is outright owned by Sony, then it's probably a longshot for DVD release.

William Miller

Second Unit
I did discover one episode of Wild Bill Hickok on YouTube.

It is Episode 13 from Season 3 "Lumber Camp Story" (April 21, 1952). You have to watch it in 5 parts.

So, I got a little Wild Bill & Jingles fix. Did that help? NO! Now I want them all more than ever.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
"HEY WILD BILL WAIT FOR ME!!!!!"- Andy "Jingles" Devine". I think the sponser was Kellogg's Sugar Pops (are tops).

Bob Hug,as to WBH being out there, I was alluding to the private market William mentioned in post #1. I'll PM you with some leads.

Another childhood favorite that has an R2 release is FURY. Amazon.DE (Germany) has four volumes. They list runtime of 600-625 minutes per set. So I guess that would be about 100 or so episodes total, I think. There are also two or three 5 episode R1 sets listed at DeepDiscount.

I was surprised to find out that FURY was an ITC Lew Grade show.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Bob, thanks for the PM . . . that clarified availablity of WBH for me.

In addition to "Fury," I know that the American children's series "Diver Dan" was an ITC show and I believe that the Canadian series "Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans" was also produced under the ITC banner.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I have 3 dvds from Alpha for Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohigans. Would love to see the whole series put out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks