Any hope for "Paint Your Wagon" on Blu

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp
Not the greatest movie of all time but has some good chorus work. Deserves a blu ray release with a few extras after a rather bare bones dvd release.

Reactions: PMF

ahollis

Premium
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Brian Sharp /t/324952/any-hope-for-paint-your-wagon-on-blu#post_3997568
Not the greatest movie of all time but has some good chorus work. Deserves a blu ray release with a few extras after a rather bare bones dvd release.
It is an entertaining film and mostly enjoyable IMHO. Perhaps we have a chance with the Paramount deal with Warner's.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Brian Sharp said:
There's a pretty good master of this epic and silly musical Western on Amazon Prime streaming. I've only watched the first few minutes, but it looks pretty good. Check it out. Like you I have a strange fondness for this bizarre disaster of a film, although I only watched it once many years ago. Apparently the $20million or so Paramount spent on this in the late 1960s (which would be who knows how much today) convinced Eastwood to direct in a much more spare and economical style when he got behind the camera.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by ahollis /t/324952/any-hope-for-paint-your-wagon-on-blu#post_3997583
It is an entertaining film and mostly enjoyable IMHO. Perhaps we have a chance with the Paramount deal with Warner's.
It was mentioned in my conversation with a Paramount executive.

davyblu

Auditioning
Real Name
David Wayne Fox
Still waiting for this one. The movie is really not all THAT bad -- it's entertaining, the chorus work IS great, and the sound on the DVD was pretty impressive. Would love to see this one on blu.

KPmusmag

Premium
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I like the movie and would love a blu, have fond memories of seeing it with family and my parents laughing their heads off - that being said, Encores! in NYC just released a wonderful new recording of the complete stage score and it is fantastic - been listening to it nonstop! For those Broadway fans here, here is the amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Paint-Your-Wa...d=1465175599&sr=1-1&keywords=paint+your+wagon

Reactions: PMF and Matt Hough

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
HD Network is showing "Paint Your Wagon" today (5-7-18). Does anyone know where the master for this came from, and any news about a blu?

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I saw this for the first time over the weekend & enjoyed it, although it would have been nothing without Lee Marvin. The Paramount DVD looks very nice (it would have looked even nicer with a clean-up). This is just one of the many Paramount holdups from the 50s, 60 & 70s. I'm sure we're just a license agreement away from seeing these films on Blu-ray (or a change of heart from Paramount about releasing catalogue titles).

Mark Booth

Premium
'Paint Your Wagon' is available in 1080p HD from iTunes and, I'm sure, other digital purveyors. I've never rented it or purchased it so I can't attest to the image or sound quality.

Mark

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Logan, Lerner & Lowe;
Previn & Presnell;
Marvin, Clint and Jean.
Gee, whiz; I'm-a-feeling Blu.
Ray Walston, too;
would surely agree.
'till then, it's just a DVD.
So what's Paramount going to do?
Just keep on handing us down
those can o' beans?

Last edited:
Reactions: benbess

demy

Grip
Real Name
Bill
That's all well and good... but digital ain't BR. I, like many others, still want physical.
I realize. Just mentioning it in case anyone is interested in the digital version, since there is no Blu-ray.

Bernard McNair

Second Unit
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I would love to see Paint Your Wagon and Half A Sixpence available on Blu. IMHO both films are excellent and do not deserve their so-so reputations.

Reactions: usrunnr

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
A train wreck of the first order, another Joshua Logan bomb, though it does a nifty painting to live action transition at the opening and a good rendition of "They Call the Wind Maria" to recommend it. Otherwise, it's the Heaven's Gate of movie musicals, a real stinkeroo. And I like musicals, film and stage! I even made it through Camelot!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
A train wreck of the first order, another Joshua Logan bomb, though it does a nifty painting to live action transition at the opening and a good rendition of "They Call the Wind Maria" to recommend it. Otherwise, it's the Heaven's Gate of movie musicals, a real stinkeroo. And I like musicals, film and stage! I even made it through Camelot!
I'll watch Paint Your Wagon any day over Camelot. Paint Your Wagon is one of a half dozen or so musicals I'll put on myself. I'm not generally a fan of the genre so for me to choose to watch a musical is high praise.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lendrena