What's new

Any hope for Mayberry RFD? (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I keep putting off buying a bootleg set because I keep thinking CBS/Paramount will release this. Now I'm starting to wonder.

If anyone hears anything, I'm all ears.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I haven't heard anything, but I wouldn't be surprised at a release. And if not from CBS/Paramount, then maybe MPI or Shout perhaps. Lots more classics being announced this year, and it's only Feb.

Blimpboy

Agent
Real Name
Darin
Mayberry R.F.D. is owned by Warner Brothers. I saw their logo at the end of episodes when last ran on TNT some years ago. I'm not sure why the studio change from the Andy series.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Blimpboy said:
I'm not sure why the studio change from the Andy series.
RFD was produced by Andy Griffith's and Dick Linke's production company. Although it filmed its first two seasons at Paramount's Cahuenga soundstages (formerly Desilu), and Culver City 40 Acres, it was not a Paramount production. (Season 3, Andy & Dick moved the series to WB; just a coincidence... not a factor in its current ownership.)
Andy and Dick sold their ownership in the series some years ago, and after a couple corporate acquisitions, the series wound up in the Warner library.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Well, that greatly diminishes the chance of it appearing on dvd. Or at least going beyong Season 1. WB's sales expectations tend to eliminate classic shows except for Dallas and The Waltons, which seem to sell well enough to satisfy them.

Mr. Ed

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward Van Fossan
I loved the Andy Griffith show. Grew up with it as a kid. Now I'm an old kid and I still love it. A.G. Show was released quickly. Like millions of fans of old time tv shows, I wish all my favorites could be released just as quickly. Mayberry RFD was not the Andy Griffith show. It was a spinoff and like many spinoffs it lacked luster with its used characters who, no matter how they tried, failed as the more lively colorful characters they protrayed on the Andy Griffith show. Except for Aunt Bee and Goober, most of the characters on RFD wre introduced in the last two or three years of the Andy Griffith show. Those were also the declining years of the show. I know there was I believe a high rated year here, but it was still on the downside of its 8 year run.

This is what I believe to be the reality of RFD. But just for the record. If Mayberry RFD came to dvd I would buy it. I have the 8 seasons of Andy Griffith. But I hate it when a show starts for a season or two then stalls. But best of luck for all of you who want the show. I hope you get it!!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Years later and still nothing. Not even any syndicated shows on any networks to watch! Perhaps Shout or someone else will pick this up.
I made the suggestion to the powers-that-be at RFD-TV that they look into licensing unedited episodes of this show along with other rural shows that have suffered from the dreaded stall/abandonment. They're already showing unedited Hee Haw weekly along with other rural themed shows. They sent me back a nice message saying that it takes money and it wasn't simply in their plans for right now. Hope that changes. :(

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There are one or two gems among the Mayberry RFD run. But heck, I'd love to replace my recordings off TV with factory discs just for the sake of completeness in the Mayberry universe. Truth be told, I never really think about this series much, but I'd buy it if it was out there. The first episode with Andy marrying Helen and Barney being the best man is certainly worth owning.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carabimero said:
There are one or two gems among the Mayberry RFD run. But heck, I'd love to replace my recordings off TV with factory discs just for the sake of completeness in the Mayberry universe. Truth be told, I never really think about this series much, but I'd buy it if it was out there. The first episode with Andy marrying Helen and Barney being the best man is certainly worth owning.
I can't honestly say I've saw it a lot as it never aired in syndication here for some reason. I saw it on some non-local TV station that was coming in when the weather was "right" and then a time or two on TV Land. However, with my love for all things classic TV, I'd be a lock to buy. Sadly, just because a few of us are a "lock" to buy something doesn't mean the studio will release it. :(

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
If you yearn for Mayberry RFD, you should check out www.thrillingdaysofyesteryear.blogspot.com ... Ivan has been chronicling the series episode by episode every Monday (well, most Mondays - he takes nice 'n slow like Goober)...

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I would like to see Mayberry, RFD released, too. There are some good shows in there, but for me, it never was as good as TAGS. Still, I would pick it up as it would be nice to continue the visits to Mayberry.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I would like to see this made available as well (albeit I am not much of a Ken Berry fan) so long as it is manufactured in the standard DVD format and widely distributed on the open home video market. With the exception of the initial MAYBERRY R.F.D. (CBS 1968-71) debut presentation "Andy and Helen Get Married" (23/09/1968) I never bothered (further) with the show (to the best of my recollections) which lasted three seasons (78 colour half hour episodes). So for myself it would be something "new" and an interesting rediscovery.
There must surely still be enough THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW (CBS 1960-68) fans out there to warrant it!
Jeff T.
:D

I just got The Andy Griffith Show Complete Series for Christmas. I am almost done with the first season already. These are addictive! So relaxing and cozy. I would buy Mayberry RFD if they released it.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Maybe there's a rights issue but I suspect they believe the interest simply isn't there to support a release, and they might be right.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
One thing's for sure, they're never going to know unless they try.
I would think the Andy Griffith Show has been successful enough on DVD to warrant taking a risk with at least a single release. Perhaps even a one disc "Best Of" collection with things like the premier episode to test the waters with a minimum of cost.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I (impulsely) responded to this discussion thread of interest without having read it through first.
I had no idea that MAYBERRY R.F.D. was independently produced and not under the auspices of CBS-Paramount Pictures Television which will definitely have a detrimental effect on pricing and the quality of the video transfers to be sure. Had it been then this THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW follow-up would have been made available on DVD long before now and without anyone having to request it.
It is unfortunate because Paramount has (generally) done an outstanding job on its syndicated television catalogue DVDs at reasonable prices without the lame excuse "utilizing the best source elements available." Usually the quality turns out to be something less than desirable.
I commend Andy Griffith for attempting something on his own but that hardly helps matters now. This all comes as a great disappointment and I am afraid that there is no real cause for optimism.
Jeff T.
:rolleyes:

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JeffT. said:
I (impulsely) responded to this discussion thread of interest without having read it through first.
I had no idea that MAYBERRY R.F.D. was independently produced and not under the auspices of CBS-Paramount Pictures Television which will definitely have a detrimental effect on pricing and the quality of the video transfers to be sure. Had it been then this THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW follow-up would have been made available on DVD long before now and without anyone having to request it.
It is unfortunate because Paramount has (generally) done an outstanding job on its syndicated television catalogue DVDs at reasonable prices without the lame excuse "utilizing the best source elements available." Usually the quality turns out to be something less than desirable.
I commend Andy Griffith for attempting something on his own but that hardly helps matters now. This all comes as a great disappointment and I am afraid that there is no real cause for optimism.
Jeff T.
:rolleyes:
I have to disagree with the accolades for CBS/Paramount. Their release of The Andy Griffith Show had a couple of shows missing the epilogue (which is the mark of a syndicated version) and episodes with missing laugh tracks. They totally butchered up Father Knows Best and there were issues on The Fugitive, too. They're dragging their feet on The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Phil Silvers, Barnaby Jones and host of other shows. I'm sorry, but they rank as big fat zero for me.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carabimero said:
When we accept nothing less than perfection, the world we get is often full of big fat zeros.
When it comes to CBS HE's antics, I don't expect perfection. They're notorious for messing up classic TV and I expect it to be done correctly. Just like in the 1980's, Polygram was releasing CD's/LP's of Hank Williams with overdubbed non-session recordings claiming it was all that was available. When The Complete Hank Williams hit the market, those songs were mysteriously in their original form and it was admitted that MGM (Polygram's predecessor) had bought the songs in the 50's and they were in the MGM/Polygram/Mercury Nashville vaults all along and they were essentially too lazy to remaster them and release them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks