What's new

Any hope for a special edition of Dead Poets Society? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I wasn't able to find any old threads on this...

I would love to see this title in a Miramax special edition a la the new Swingers, Grifters, etc. Anyone know of any plans?

Also, how is the picture quality of the current release? I take it that it's not anamorphic.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Wow, I didn't even know there was a longer cut. I'll deifnitely hold off on the current DVD if it's not the director's cut.

Guys,

Touchstone have recently released a "Special Edition" in R2/R4...it contains the theatrical cut...

It is anamorphic (as was the original R2/R4 release) and is DD5.1.

In terms of extras it has the trailer, a tribute to Alan Splet who was the supervising sound editor (this includes an interview with David Lynch), some footage of "raw takes" which is essentially a deleted scene, a series of interviews with most of the cast (mainly describing what it was like to work with Peter Weir) which runs for nearly half an hour, "John Seale's Master Class" which is a video from the Australian Film, Television and Radio School, where John Seale recreates the set of Neil/Todd's room and shows the students how the lighting was done for the various shots, quite indepth and finally, an audio commentary with Peter Weir, John Seale and the writer Tom Schulman. The menus are quite nicely done to.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Uh, why does R1 always get screwed!!! :angry: I have the only R1 dvd of Dead Poets Society and really wish it were in DD5.1. It's definitely one of my absolute favorite movies and would buy a new version in a minute. Please give me some hope!! :frowning:

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Jeffrey,

all right, here's some hope: A Special Edition being released in R2 before R1 usually means one thing: R1 will get it as well, but it'll be better.

Chris

BenjaminG

Stunt Coordinator
Uh, why does R1 always get screwed!!!
I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for you saying that R1 always gets screwed. I'm sorry, but Region 4 has taken up until now to get anywhere near the volume of the titles available in R1, and there are still dozens and dozens of titles that I have to import, simply because they still are not available. Done.
And then there is the fact that R4 is pretty much always shafted with extra features and DTS.
You guys are incredibly lucky to be living in R1. I wish I was, so my wallet would get so 'screwed'.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Great movie. I would love to see a SE in R1. The current release is fair at best.

DeVario

Agent
It could be a potential Vista Series. What do you think? Would there be enough suppliments for a second disc?

CraigL

Screenwriter
all right, here's some hope: A Special Edition being released in R2 before R1 usually means one thing: R1 will get it as well, but it'll be better.
You're kidding right?

I can think of two that have been out for quite some time in other regions...

A League Of Their Own
Crimson Tide

Does NOT mean that they're coming out here anytime soon.
Has Touchtone ever released a special edition???

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think with Disney/BVHV doing a lot of double dipping (Swingers, From Dusk Til Dawn, Tombstone, etc.) you have a more than good chance at having this title revisited. I'm with you guys in hoping BVHV does this title right!

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,

I can think of two that have been out for quite some time in other regions...

A League Of Their Own
Crimson Tide
As for Crimson Tide, I read an interview with the disc's producer a while ago, and he said that Tony Scott had just recorded an audio commentary for it. Well, guess what: The R2 SE of Crimson Tide does not have an audio commentary! So there ya go. An R1 will come, and it'll be better, take my word for it.

As for League of their Own, I never said that all R1s are better than R2s. All I said was that if we get a SE in R2 before R1 that only means that the R1 will be better. Exceptions apply of course, but generally I have found it to be true.

Chris

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Id double dip this title in a second if it where a SE. Although just a anamorphic transfer would put it low on the list to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks