Any honeymoon recommendations?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeffrey Noel, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

I'm getting an early start (getting married June 25, '05) at looking for Honeymoon locations, but I'm at a loss. There are so many options but I don't know which really are as good as they seem to be.

I'm looking for a tropical, all-inclusive resort that is adult only. My fiance would really love for it to have horseback riding, but it's not a deal breaker.

My cousin went to one of the Montego Bay, Jamaica Sandal's resorts and absolutely loved it, so that is leading in my decision. But I thought some of you may have experience, good or bad, with other resorts.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

We enjoyed a cruise. Nice. You get to see multiple places not just one resort all week. They treat you like a king.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Look at some places in St. Lucia and St. Thomas. I've heard great things about both! I'm getting married in May 2005 and we're going to Cozumel, Mexico which I would recommend to you, but there aren't any adults-only places down there (we're going because Cozumel is special to us). Also, check out the Sandals website (www.sandals.com) as they're all over the Caribbean and I'm pretty sure they're all adults-only.

Also, how much (ballpark) are you planning to spend? If you're ready to drop some serious cash on it, Google Guana Island. It's a little "private" island. Only about 15-20 people can stay there at a time. It's 850 acres and has 7 separate beaches, so there's lots of privacy.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I'm looking into China myself...... haven't narrowed down any particular city yet.

BTW: Congratulations. [​IMG]

5. Jeffrey Noel

Thanks Garrett! We're very ready, as we've been together 6+ years, and I'm only 24!!

Seth, we'd really like to keep it below $3000. I, on the other hand would like to keep it below $2000 but that's a different story! I'll definitely give St. Lucia and St. Thomas a look-see!

Thanks for the recommendations! Keep'um comin'!!

6. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Well, my wife and I went to Sandals Montego Bay in Jamaica and I wouldn't recommend it. While the resort is nice, the country of Jamaica leaves a lot to be desired. When we checked in, we were actually warned to not leave the resort because it wasn't safe. We actually did wander out one day with another couple and were constantly hounded by the locals to buy their crap. Everywhere we went, we were constantly harassed. The country of Jamaica is poverty stricken and the only way these people survive is by tourists buying stuff. I won't ever go back there.

7. BryanW

BryanW Agent

Some friends of mine went to jamaica and loved the resort but went into town and did some parting at a bar and for some stupid reason ran a tab on a credit card and drank over $500 also his wife bought a childs dress from a local the dress was $20 and when they got the bill it was $120 so if you go I would stick to the resort. The locals can smell a out-of-towner 2 miles away !!! My vote is a western caribbean cruise . Very romantic. Thats what you want something to remember for a honeymoon BryanW:b

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Jamaica given the hurricane conditions and what has affected them this year may be a bad bet.

Sandals for under $3k? Not likely if you want to go for more than 5 nights. St Lucia is the most expensive(or was when I was selling travel) of the resorts.

A cruise is very doable for under $3k including airfare. The only issue is that it isn't very cozy and they are not often adult only. I love cruises but for a honeymoon I just don't recommend that. If you do a cruise, I would suggest the Southern Carribean or Eastern. The Western is not good spot IMHO. I've done both. The western includes: Cancun/Cozumel/Playa/Progesso, Belize and what's left of Cayman Islands(whose port might not be open around then...)
    I'd personally stick to the eastern or southern carribean.

Other suggestions:

Mexico: Something like Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, or even Monzanillo would work. Anything on the pacific side is rather nice and just under $3k.

Hawaii: Should be easily doable for $3k.

Playa Del Carmen: South of Cancun. There are adult only places here.

Aruba: very adult. Very nice. Might be past your $$ though.

St Thomas: Lots of people. not so quaint. WOuld go back another time for shopping but it's WAY too crowded.

St Lucia: Wouldn't leave your resort If I were you..see Tim's description of Jamaica.

St Maarten: Very nice. This is a stellar place. Lots of resorts there.

St John: Hyatt is THE resort there. It's hidden away. VERY quaint. VERY quiet.

If you want a midly cheaper alternative to Sandals, then try Beaches.

Having been a travel agent is nice sometimes..

9. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    My fiance and I are just about ready to book a week at Sandals Halcyon in St. Lucia. A full week at a Sandals all inclusive is not very likely for under $3k (more like 4-5k and up).

If you want all-inclusive (and we've gotten tons of recommendations that that's the way to go) Sandals really is the ideal choice. Many all-inclusives allow/expect you to tip the waitstaff and people have mentioned that they got better service when they tipped and lousy service if they didn't. Sandals, however, has a very strict no tipping policy - the staff won't accept them. You get the best service regardless.

One thing you may want to check out is the brand new Sandals Ocho Rios. It's scheduled to open in January 2005 and they are offering a 40% discount for early bookings. That's likely your best bet for a more cost-effective Sandals vacation.

If you really prefer adults/couples only, then Beaches probably wouldn't be worth the savings to you - it's much more family-oriented.

Good luck with the planning!

-Jason

10. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I have been to the carribean a bunch....LOVE THE TROPICS!!!!!!!! With that said......

The American Vergin Islands is beautiful but VERY crime riddled. I GREATLY prefer the British Virgin Islands. We stayed on the island of Tortola at the Long Bay Beach Resort. It is a huge resort with everything and is very laid back. There are a lot of little islands there that you can explore too. We found a local with a boat.....paid him 100$ and for the WHOLE day he took us to every island...we snorkled every island. And partied with all of his friends!! Excellent time!!

Jamaica is great, like everyone said though STAY ON THE RESORT! To be honest I hate to have to stay on the resort...i like to explore.

Mexico IS GREAT!! The Mayan Riviera is beautiful with lots to do and a million of different resorts....don't drink the water [​IMG].

Grand Caman is nice...didn't spend a lot there though

Aruba is a lot of fun......very hot as it is a desert island but the trade winds keep it "cool".... Lots of stuff to do!! Lots of kids though....

The up and coming trip seems to be the Dominican Republic. Very reasonably priced.

Keep in mind though that you will be going during the off season so the resorts won't be packed at all. Also prices are better. I go in June and very rarely see a lot of kids. Good luck.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

from my line of work all I can say is don't get ill in any of the locations mentioned :b
    or get good travellers insurance.

12. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Jeff,
    I got married in the cayman Islands last year. Great place ...lots of different things to do.
    If you want quiet stay on the east end if possible.
    Here is a link: http://www.caymanislands.ky/

We stayed at Morritt's Grand Resort....

If you need any more insight let me know.

13. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Chad,
    We were told that the Caymans was wrecked by the last hurricane and that even cruise ships won't go there right now. There port won't be open for 6 more months and they said it will take a couple of years to rebuild.

Jeffrey,
    Whatever you decide, book NOW or very soon. As you know June is one of if not the most popular months to be married and honeymooners book quickly.

14. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Shane,
    Brainfart....yes slipped my mind....lack of sleep(5 hours doesn't get the job done).

If it was open it would be a great place to go.....

15. Jeffrey Noel

Wow, thanks for all of the info fellas!

Jason, thanks for the link to Ocho Rios.

But can anybody help me with that danged security code in the "Get Quote" area from Jason's link? The last letter is not showing up too well. I tried it as a 't' and a 'j', yet neither work. I feel like a complete moron, but what other choices are there?!

16. Curt_Dennis

Curt_Dennis Stunt Coordinator

Congrats Jeffrey! I just happen to be getting married on June 24, 2005 myself!

We decided to get married on Mauai on the beach and then spending the honeymoon on Mauai, Kaui, and Oahu. Should be a great time and can't wait for June to get here. Just put the deposit down, and although it's a little more expensive than what most want to spend on their honeymoon, the wedding is being included and we are saving a ton of money.

I'd diffently recommend the cruise for the honeymoon. I've been on 4 myself and the southern carribbean one was by far the best. Although I did take one where we had 4 days at sea and stopped at only 3 islands and that was very relaxing because you weren't rushing to do tourist stuff every day.

What ever you choose, make sure to tell them that you are on your honeymoon and you will get treated like a king and queen. And book early!!! Get insurance too!

17. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I hadn't noticed your wedding date earlier. When we were in Jamaica, it was also in late June since we got married on June 21st. Let me tell you that it was HOT!!! Over 100 degrees during the day with high humidity. There were a couple of days during my honeymoon where I spent hours just sitting in the room with the air conditioning turned up. Way too hot for me. I'd recommend Hawaii any day over the searing heat that you're going to get in the Caribbean or Mexico during that time of year.

18. Jeffrey Noel

Thanks Curt. Congrats to you too!!

Tim, I had never even thought of that. Good to know!!

19. David Singleton

David Singleton Stunt Coordinator

I'm getting married on Saturday, Nov. 27. On Sunday, my wife and I (gotta get used to that) will be flying to Tampa to board the Carnival Miracle for a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise.

We will stop at Cayman (open for two cruise ships at a time), Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya.

I booked a category 11 suite with a wrap-around balcony, whirlpool tub, the works. All that, including airfare, was a little over $4000. Could have easily cut that in half, but I wanted to upgrade to the suite.

Congratulations all and enjoy planning the honeymoon.

David

20. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

We were married in Jamaica, have family there, etc. Tourism hasn't been as hot as it was pre-9-11 yet, so you can still get good deals there in general.