What's new

Any Honda S2000 owners? (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
We're going to get a new car at the end of the year or early next year and I'm willing to buy used at this point. Since we have an SUV type vehicle we thought about getting a Convertible since we don't have kids.

So, how reliable are these? I know its a Honda but I have to ask..

Anything special I should otherwise know about them(maintenance, etc..)?

My other choice was the Mazdaspeed Miata but since I can land a

Shane Roach

Stunt Coordinator
The only unusual maintenance issue I've heard of is that many owners find themselves replacing the rear tires two or three times a year. Where's that burnout smiley when you need it?

Overall, I haven't cared for many of Honda's products in the last ten years or so, but the S2000 is an absolute home run. As long as you remember that you have to run the engine to high revs to get good power out of it (2 liters = not much low-end torque), I think you'll be happy. Also, if you have any inclination to modify the car for better performance, the S2000 is pretty much maximized out of the box. The usual intake and exhaust mods are a waste of time on this car; if you want more power, you have to step up to forced induction.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I like the s2000, but perhaps I'm slightly biased towards hte miata, since I have a 1990 turbo miata :D

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
The new Mazdaspeed Miata was highly praised in the last Car and Driver now that theyve added the turbo...

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I've wanted to pick up an S2000, and put the new TL engine in one (or the TL-S engine, same basic thing). Car ought to wake RIGHT up at low revs.:)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

we'll see. 0-60 times always vary. The general impression over on the miata forums is pretty mixed. people coming from turbod miatas think they feel slow.

Shane Roach

Stunt Coordinator
Well of course they'll think the Mazdaspeed Miata is slow if they've driven Miatas with aftermarket or homebrew turbo setups. The MSM makes 178 hp at the flywheel, so probably 155-160ish at the wheels. The guys I know who've added turbos or superchargers to their Miatas all have between 198 and 255 hp at the wheels.

The attraction of the MSM is that it's a relatively cheap upgrade, it's reliable, and it's warrantied.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Not all, some are running the basic 1.6l greddy kit which is about 150 to the wheels.
NE WHO we're dragging this further and further from the original topic, probably best to start another about miatas ;)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I don't think us roadster guys really care about the 0-60... When you get in a small 2 seater roadster, be that an S2000, a Miata, an MR2, an old Triumph, etc. etc... the experience is not acceleration, it's the feel of the wind through your hair as you take the twisties, the feel of hugging the road more than any other car out there and the joy of hearing the engine purr. After a while, you forget about the g's the 0-60s, the fact that there are other cars out there.

Jay

DrewSmith

Stunt Coordinator
The S2000 is an absolute Gem period. For price/performance it is one of the best deals on the road. 9000rpm red line this is a true testiment to Honda engineering, 120hp per litre of engine almost unheard of in a normally aspirated car.

If a 2 seater is for you and you dont need the storage and as mentioned earlier can afford the tires, go for it.

Honda possibly makes the best 4 cylinder engines in the world, others will disagree but his is my and a few proffesionals humble opinion.

I have test driven the S2000 and it was an absolute blast, If I had the money I would have taken it. I settled for an accord coupe V6 6 speed, wonderful car a little less harsh, and more luxurious, but at 240hp V6 6sec 0-60 times no slouch!!

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
I am good friends with a guy that has both a supercharged Miata and an S2000. We both drive race cars as well, which I say just to add some credibility to what follows:

The S2000 is too much work to have fun with on the street. It has to be "beat on" to be anywhere up in the high performance range of the car. Also, with the high engine speed, you'll find yourself over the speed limits quite easily before anything even feels like it's pulling strong. And forget about taking any tall passengers. I'm 6'3", and the S2000 is the most uncomfortable car I have ever ridden in. Not to mention the tall floor rail that is a pain to step over every time you get in and out of the car. However, the S2000 sure sounds cool.

I actually fit better in the Miata.

My friend is selling the S2000 and keeping the Miata. That should be a good indication to you. He says the Miata is easier to drive at fun levels on the street.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Well I need to drive one of each first before I make a decision on it.

Does anyone know if the S2000 has always had a back glass or is a plastic? I know that is a minor annoyance but I'm asking..

As far as the tires go, If I drive it nice and don't do the burn out thing(basically drive it like any other basic car), then the Tire thing is not an issue right?

I don't drive my cars hard at all.

So while the 240hp is alot, it's not as usuable as the Miata is the general consensus right?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
not really less useable, just higher in the rpm range. Drive one and you'll see what they mean, that's really the only way methinks.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly the S2000 has a fold down passenger seat to let things pass thru. That adds a bit more utility to the package than the Miata. At this point I'd have to drive both to decide.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
The 2004 model year brought needed updates to the Honda including a glass rear window with the soft top. The engine was bored out and low end grunt improved. New wheels and some other minor stuff. I have not driven the 2004 but reviews have stated the around town driveability was greatly improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks