Any hockey fans here?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by PaulP, Apr 28, 2005.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I'm thoroughly disgusted that there is absolutely zero coverage here in the US of the Hockey World Championship starting this Saturday in Austria! I checked Canadian TV listings, and even they only have a handful of games. You would think that with the temporary demise of the NHL, networks would jump on this, but no. Boggles the mind.

2. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

The sad reality is that poker and dog shows get better ratings then hockey. Hockey games are just about carried only when they have to be. But losing this season really put a hurt on my entire family.

3. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I miss hockey this season really bad.
    I am also surprised that they would not broadcast the championships even in the absencce of the NHL this year. I hope they make some advancements over the summer or we might be in trouble for next year. Theres no way Bettman would allow the next season to be cancelled but im nervous, they would absolutely kill North American hockey if they did that.
    They ahave already cancelled the draft. Whats next for the NHL?

4. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I got HD in August and was really looking forward to seeing hockey in HD, hopefully they can hammer out a deal and save hockey.

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

No one wants to budge. This is what happens when both sides are a bunch of greedy, selfish bastards.

The fans are screwed, not the billionaire owners or the rich, spoiled players who can just pull up skates (pun intended) and play for their native lands.

Ticket prices have been atrocious (even for nose bleed sections-- it's now a rich man's sport) and the rules and refereeing are getter lousier by the minute. They allow too much shit to go on and so we ended up with fellow NHL players putting contracts out on other team's players... and we all saw what happened! The Russian mob has had their hand in things too with some of the Russian players...

The NHL has turned into a joke.

Dan

6. Bren_Chris

Bren_Chris Stunt Coordinator

I became a huge hockey fan about three years ago and watched a lot of Nashville Predators games on the local FSN. This past season, in the absence of rink action, I followed the NFL more closely than I had in recent years, and this has been the closest I've ever followed April baseball. [​IMG]

I miss hearing Thorne and Clement together on ESPN, too.

One of the ironies of the current NHL woes is that they're going to lose these expansion markets that they've been cultivating in the past few years. Folks in Nashville packed the GEC when the Preds made the playoffs. Tampa Bay got to the Cup. Should the NHL (ever) get back on track, fans in the "original six" cities will probably show up like nothing happened, but how to lure back the tentative fans in other regions?

7. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

At this point i'd watched televised Roller Hockey.

What happened to Bobby Hull's WHL league that was supposed to start up it would have been perfect timing?

8. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I painfully mourn the cancellation of the season as well, and am having major hockey withdrawls, but to not telecast the World Championship (at least the US games) is a crime, in my opinion. I can't begin to imagine why this is, especially since the Under-18 Championship was already broadcast...

9. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Dead in the water. As far as the NHL is concerned, I read a great article by Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe a few weeks back. He gave his suggestions for improving the game when it comes back. No rounded nets, no shootouts, and none of the other silly suggestions Mr. "It worked for basketball" Bettman seems to seek out.

Number one suggestion by Dupes - Kill the instigator rule and possibly the bench clearing brawl rule. This would bring back fighting to at least the late 70's style so the NHL can keep it's core audience that it lost due to the lockout. I agree and say screw the "new viewers" that it has been trying to woo by wussifying the game. They have been alienating the true hockey fan in order to get the casual fan interested and it ain't working. The casual fan can learn to love the game if they watch it and the ones who say they'd watch if it were not for the fighting will never watch anyway, never mind buy a ticket, fighting or not. Hockey needs fighting as a tactic and to police itself. It does not need designated goons who square-off in a sideshow bout once a night. Even more important, it would keep the clutch and grab, cheap shots and intentional injuries to the game's stars to a minimum and do more to open up the game than any wider blue line, 4 on 4, stationary goalie or new fangled icing rule ever could.

Oh, yeah - He also said to adopt the tag-up offsides (I agree!!) and reduce the size of goalie equipement, pads, gloves, shirts and all.

10. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    just as long as every team has a guy or two they can throw out there to kick ass. even if everyone has a guy like that, i dont see how it could possibly control the clutch and grab tactics. the nhl may need a few rule updates and revisions here and there, but fighting is a necessary part of the sport.

CJ

11. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Elimination of the instigator would allow a forward who has a defender draped on his back to punch his lights out, not suffer a 2-10-game extra and not have to worry that the guy will come too close again. In the old days they called it "getting some skating room". It also would require the clutch and grabbers/hackers/Kasperitises to develop another skill (pugilistic, that is) or quietly leave the job they have sullied for the last 20 years because all of a sudden their injury inflicting skills, coupled with their ability to turtle at the sight of a dropped glove, will no longer be in vogue.

12. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    it could do that, but not every guy who has a big bear on his back is able (or even willing) to throw a punch. maybe a big guy like lemieux would be able to handle himself in a scuffle, but i wouldnt want to be a small guy and have that as my only option to keep the game fluid. let the refs control the clutch and grab, they are on the ice at all times (at least physically) [​IMG] using fighting as self-regulation is a good idea, but it can only be stretched do far.

CJ

13. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    The ESPNs can't show the US National hockey team; they're too busy nationally broadcasting college baseball games! [​IMG]

14. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

That's why Gretzky had Semenko and McSorley. [​IMG] Besides, there are a lot of small guys who can be tough, Stan Jonathan was 5'7" and at one time was the toughest guy in the league, and that was back in the days of Dave Schultz. Today, I'd take Rob DiMaio or Matt Barnaby on my team any time, anywhere. It's not the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of fight in the dog.

15. Bren_Chris

What's the "tag-up offisdes"?

16. Bren_Chris

Re: Tag-up. So if the puck is poke-checked out of the attacking zone, the offensive player can slap it back INTO the zone without a whistle, provided everyone clears the zone before touching the puck again. Does every player have to clear the zone before anyone else on their team touches it? In other words, can an enterprising skater clear and re-enter the zone and touch the puck before his teammates have done the same?

17. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

No, all players have to clear the zone before anyone on offense touches the puck. What happens is the linesman's arm goes up and he puts the whistle to his mouth as soon as the puck reenters the zone. He'll simultaneously watch the offensive players that are in the zone and the puck. If all players cross the blue line (you only need to straddle it with one leg on each side, hence the name "tag-up"), his arm goes down and play continues. If any offensive player touches the puck before all the offensive players "tag-up" the play is whistled dead for offsides. Greatly reduces the number of faceoffs, keeps the game flowing and really makes the defensemen work on the outlet pass.

18. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Amen. Even in the glory days of the goon (Dave Schultz, Tiger Williams), my team (the Bruins) had Terry O'Reilly, Stan Jonathan and John Wensink, who took nothing from noone, fought any "goon" around and still put up the numbers. Wensink had 19 goals one year, Jonathan regularly scored 25-30 and O'Reilly led the team in points and PIMS. Give me 20 Cam Neely's or 20 Jerome Iginla's and I'll win the cup every year.

19. Bren_Chris

OK, thanks for clearing that up, guys. Guess I came aboard (and learned the rules) after the offsides rule had been changed to its most recent state.

Funny thing is, when I got into hockey a while back, I was pretty intense about it and watched every televised game I could. And then, whenever I'd see a basketball game, all these imaginary whistles would be going off in my head: "Hey, he can't precede the ball into the attacking zone!"

20. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i guess i didnt mean just big guys, i was talking about tough guys. there are plenty of big guys who cant use their size, too. without every player capable of self-policing the clutching and grabbing, i dont see the point of letting the fighting do it. plus, if i'm a speedy forward and i get held back by some lazy forechecker grabbing at my arm or shirt, i dont think a punch in the jaw is quite right for punishment. it may get him not to do it again (which i guess may be the point), but i think a 2 minute penalty may be more appropriate. why not use fighting for all other infractions too? if someone slashes you, just slash them back? fighting isnt an end-all solution to infractions, but it can be very effective at controlling certain ones.

CJ