Any HK AVR335 users????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by amanWadhan, Aug 2, 2005.

1. amanWadhan

amanWadhan Agent

hello

i have recently purchased AVR335 and i found out that the cooling fan in the rear of the receiver is not running. On one occasion, i ran it for almost an hour at 85-90% of the highest volume and the receiver got pretty hot but the fan still didnot run. i talked to my dealer regarding this and he told me that the fan runs only after 8-10 hours of continuous running (which normally doesnot happen)and when the heat sink is unable to dissipate all the heat. is this true? can anyone using the same receiver or any other receiver from HK tell me what this is all about and is this the case with your receiver also?

thanks a lot

2. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

I have a 435, and I have never HEARD the fan turn on.

Thought the 335 didn't have a fan. Must be mistaken.

3. amanWadhan

amanWadhan Agent

Can you see the fan from the rear vent in your AVR435? If so, have you ever seen it running? I have not seen the fan running in my AVR335 so far (it does have a fan). it seems that what my dealer said is true. I recently listened to AVR330 at the dealership and the fan was not running in it also. If you can please talk to other people or your dealer in this regard and get some more info.

thanks a lot for the help. i appreciate it.

4. Ryan Leemhuis

Just took a look and its not running. I doubt it will in most cases. That is a REALLY big heatsink. Even though the receiver gets quite hot, the heatsink most likely can handle the heat dissappation on its own. I wouldn't worry

5. amanWadhan

amanWadhan Agent

thanks for the efforts. just in case you get in touch with your dealer or any other owners, do ask them this question and let me know.

thanks once again

6. Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri Stunt Coordinator

I thought it only turned on when it gets too hot.

7. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

Hey Ryan,

What do you think of your 435? I should be getting one delivered next week sometime. I'll be using it as a pre-amp but I wondered what you thought of yours.

thanks!

8. amanWadhan

amanWadhan Agent

I would love to hear from any AVR335 users also and get their responses in regard to my original question.

9. Ryan Leemhuis

I love my new receiver. It has every feature I wanted and did not disappoint. For me, because I lived with a entry level receiver for so long, its the little things that I am enjoying the most. No more guillitine clamps for speaker wire, individual crossovers for each speaker, hell my last receiver wouldn't even tell me what the crossover was set to.

I have only experienced 2 quirks in my usage so far. Occasionally the screen on the remote will fill with boxes on the top line. This is quickly fixed by taking out and putting in a battery however, and the remote works regardless of whether that top line is filled with boxes or not.

I think the receiver froze up on me once. I fized just by flipping the MAIN power switch, which is behind the front door. However, I can't complain about this as it was hot and humid in my room that day, and my receiver does not have the best air flow around it where it is now. That will change shortly.

EZset is usually pretty accurate setting distances, I have found it very sensitive to obstructions in the room. So don't place the mic close to any furniture when doing the test.

The room eq takes some experimentation. Because every speaker has cancellation nodes and such, you have to experiment with different distances from the speaker. This is not so much of a concern in a MT design IMO but it is a concern in a MTM. Remember to use the "tilt" control after you use the EQ.

Oh, and if you are a fan of adding a little ambiance to your music, Logic 7 works wonders for that.

I was giddy like a kid in a candy store when I got mine in, it was sad(for a person who doesn't understand us people [​IMG]). Let me just say that this receiver is a beast! 40 pounds! I anticipated it being large but wow. All I gotta say is that it is definitely well built.

If you have any more questions about it I would be more than happy to answer, although ya might just wanna make a thread.

To the original poster, I really wouldn't worry about it. I have NEVER heard the fan run in my unit. Trust me, it gets REALLY hot. I have had it be to the point where I can almost not leave my hand on it. If your unit is not locking up, or having weird errors, assume its fine IMO. No point in trying to make your receiver get TOO hot.

10. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Logic 7 is the most natural sounding way of processing 2-channel source into 7 channels that I've yet encountered with my time at Fry's checking out the recievers and learning the differences. If the AVR 335 has that cooling tunnel (I haven't checked on the one at work since it's high up on a shelf and those things are heavy) then I'll go ahead and pick it up instead of the AVR 235 that I have been closely eyeing.

11. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

Hey Ryan, my H/K 635 remote does the same thing with the boxes along the top. I e-mailed H/K customer service, and they shipped me out a new remote no questions asked. I don't even have to send back the old one.

That is a defect, and since you're under warranty, you shouldn't have to accept it. I find it very annoying--sure the remote works, but I can't see what's indicated on the LCD half the time. Contact H/K and they should take care of you.

12. Ryan Leemhuis

Oh if you check out my posts at AVSforum, They have already done that, it shipped out today, all is wonderful [​IMG].

Of course, I plan on keeping both! Two remotes = twice the fun [​IMG]

13. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

The AVR335 has two fans. One on the heatsink and one on the power transformer area. The AVR 235 has a fan on only the heatsink. I like my new 335. It is a very solidly-designed reciever.