What's new

Any hints that NORTHERN EXPOSURE will be making its way to DVD in 2003? (MERGED) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It is supposed to be CMT (Country Music Television in Canada), but our channel listings here are out of sync, so it didn't show up when it was supposed to. I have to figure out what the deal is with that.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info, Jeff. Unfortunately, non-digital Comcast cable here in the Twin Cities doesn't carry CMT in their lineup. Guess I'll have to hold tight for the arrival of the dvds.

I really hope the studio puts this series' seasons on a fast release schedule.

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff
Do you have link for the info about NX now appearing on CMT? I can't seem to find anything on the CMT website or through Google. :frowning:

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I saw it in the tvguide.com listings for my area, but it wasn't on TV. The listings around here are screwy, and often based on the wrong feed (ie CST as opposed to PST). I still haven't figured out which listings are right or based on what.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Nothing new on my part. But then again, if I did have news, it would be up at TVShowsOnDVD already. :D
By the way, if you are registered at our site, then make sure you have e-mail notification enabled in your user options. Then you'll get an e-mail anytime we update a show you voted for with either news or new release listings.
Edit: Sorry, not trying to "spam" here, just trying to be helpful. If this is too spam-like, mods, feel free to remove it.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'll reiterate that Uni should consider a Season 1 + 2 release due to the low number of episodes compared to the later seasons.

Kipp Teague

Stunt Coordinator
I began a new thread on Northern Exposure yesterday, but it has disappeared. I'm not sure what happened. In any case, it seems that the following quote from the July 15 2003 issue of USA Today is the only hint to emerge in the past several years that Northern Exposure *might* actually make it to DVD:
While many beloved series have found a new home on DVD and on viewers' shelves, a few holdouts such as Seinfeld and Northern Exposure remain — but not for long. DVD releases are in the works for both series. They are among the most requested DVDs on Amazon.com. Also in the works: Jon Lovitz's animated The Critic, King of Queens and Barney Miller.
(This paragraph appeared in http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...5-tv-dvd_x.htm )
How much credence can we give this? Is Northern Exposure indeed coming to DVD?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I replied to your thread yesterday citing that article. Barney Miller streets Tuesday, and King of Queens is either out or coming. When it comes (hopefully soon) NE should be released with both the first and second seasons in one set, according to me. :)
Of course Universal had some pretty major changes last year, so who knows if the article is still valid. I suspect the biggest issue is music rights, and I hope it doesn't mean replacing songs for the DVDs.

Kipp Teague

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, thanks for replying again. I remain puzzled as to what happened to my thread from yesterday. I never saw your reply, and now I can't find the thread at all.

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I'm waiting for Northern Exposure to be released on DVD too. And I really hope they don't screw around with the music soundtrack. The songs that were played during the course of each episode were important to the scenes. I really hope they don't replace the original songs with something else entirely. This music rights "issue" is a nightmare.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I realize that this show has been brought up before, but the threads are in the old forum and would need to be moved, so in the interest of posting to the correct forum and saving the moderators from more work...

Where is an announcement for Northern Exposure series sets? Universal had mentioned it last year, and it appears their first quarter announcements heve been made already. Any word on a timetable for this series?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I know there hasn't been an official announcement yet, but I was hoping that there would be one forthcoming soon. I agree that the music rights are probably the biggest issue, but would also suggest that they are more of a stumbling block in the third and later seasons, since the first two only encompass 15 episodes in total.

I would say that the fourth season is probably my least favorite, as Anthony Edwards as Mike Monroe is my least favorite recurring character. I actually didn't mind the final season or the Capras. If they were available, I would buy all six seasons, as this show is still one of the best ever produced IMO.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The good news is we get the first season, but Universal's pricing may be the death toll for any more releases. When MGM can release 35 half hour episodes of Green Acres for $29, $60 for an 8 hour release looks pretty steep at retail. If this is simply to cover the "parka" packaging, why not skip it and do a less expensive release. Didn't they learn from Galactica?

I'll be getting it, but for this price, I also expect the image to be restored, and all the original music to be intact.

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
The set is already listed as a pre-order on Universal's home video site for $39.99 --
http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...p?titleId=2441
Frankly, the only thing dissapointing me at this point is that it will be DVD-14.
But you know what? I've been waiting for this day since August 19, 1998 when I got my first DVD player, and I've maintained in many threads on the HTF that my collection will never be complete until Nothern Exposure is in it.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm very happy NE will be on DVD, but the pricing leaves me a little cold. Maybe I'll need that parka after all.

My biggest fear is what the pricing will be like on seasons 3 and on when there are 22 or more episodes. With current pricing, the list will be over $165 a season, which will NEVER fly at retail (or in my budget!).

I hope Universal isn't shooting themselves in the foot with this one. This show deserves to be huge on DVD, but looks like it may become another MTM situation simply due to the price.

Eric Estrada

Agent
This is one of the best TV Shows ever and finally it will be on DVD. I am buying this May 25 for sure. Thanks for the announcement guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks