What's new

Any HiFonics amp owners here? (1 Viewer)

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anyone here has or is using the Hifonics Brutus series amplifiers? I am looking for a reasonably priced 1 ohm stable amp for powering subs. The brutus series look nice for around 280.00-380.00 depending on model. They range from 500x1 @1 ohm to 1500x1 @ 1 ohm.Probably only need the 500W model.
I have been out of the car audio scene for some time. I want a reliable amp with good sound quality. I remember Hifonics being one of the bigger names in amps 10 years ago or so.

Spencer M

Grip
Check out the new MTX "Thunder TC" series amps they make a 400 watt mono for about $300 and a 600 for $450.

Jacob*C

Auditioning
BX1500 user here...i had one for about a year on an RE SX15. Very nice amp for the price. They have been proven to not give thier rated power, but they come close, and for the price you can't really beat em unless you buy refurbished or used. Eventually mine died, but i take responsibility for that as I mounted it to the box (stupid).

Not sure what they guy above is talking about...the Brutus liune is very nice for the price. 2 of the 3 brands he recommended are probably more than you want to pay unless you found a deal, and Zapco is more than likely out of the question.

Hope this helps.

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
Jacob*c,
Thanks for the response!The BX1500D is one of the amps I am looking at though I am not sure I need that much power. Yeah I have read about the amps not putting out the rated power. From what I have read they put out pretty close to rated power. I figure I can pick one up for about 250.00 shipped. If it only puts out 1300-1400W instead of the 1500W, thats still one hell of a deal.

Shawn Caw

Auditioning
I know this is kinda old but I still want to write something. I have never heard if Hifonics so I am not sure of the quality. I just wanted to say that I think the JBL line of amps is awesome for going into 1ohm stable. I used to have the BX. 300.1 and it was 300 watts at 1 ohm stable and it proved to be a powerful performer. I would think that it would be a good choice for the type of amp that you are looking for.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Ran a BX1500.1 @ 1ohm and it only lasted 6 weeks before filling my car with a smoky burning smell.

If you need 1 ohm stable stay far, far away from HiFonics. I'm with JBL now and in addition to reliability, it sounds better.

EvanW

Stunt Coordinator
Hifonics quality depends on the line u chose, and to Scott, just because u think its a 1 ohm load doesnt mean it is, did u test resistance before u hooked it up, no driver is exactly 4 or 2 ohms, for all u know u were running .75 ohm load, and for the price of the hifonics its hard to beat, it doesnt put out quite rated power though. but who cares, your using it for a sub the actual loudness wont vary much, everything is based on variables like the sensativity of ur coil and how its wrapped but saying u have 2 subs wired for exactly 1 ohm who's coils can safely handle 2500 watts together and u have it on an amp that puts out exactly 1000 watts at 1 ohm at 12.5 volts and u have it powered at 12.5 volts say off a regulated DC power supply, and the subs at that power were giving u 141db (in whatever enclosure u had it in, to many variables) then all variables cast out with 2000 watts ud only have a 3 db gain to 144 db....., thats not a perfect explanation but whatever, most of the people will tell u they sound bad, these are the same people that believe bi wiring speakers makes a difference.... not to be confuzed with bi amping, theres a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks