What's new

Any Help?? (1 Viewer)

Shajan

Auditioning
Hi all.

I was able to buy a powered sub really cheap from a store going out of business. The sub is one part of the Polk RMDS1 system. According to the sales person, this sub will only work with Polk system. But for $25.00, I thought I'll take the risk.

The amp for the system(5 channels + sub) is built in the sub. Is there any way I can make a working amp out of its parts? It has a very heavy transformer that impressed me.

I can take digital pictures of the parts inside, and post it if anyone would like to try to help out.

Regards,

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Maybe a administator will move this to the speaker and subs area for you. I don't think they like it if you post in two seperate areas. I'm sure someone over there can help.

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
I looked at the specs page for that Polk system. The problem I see with using it with your current setup as a sub is the type of input it uses. Is there RCA input or just the DB-25 input? You would need a way to attach your receiver or amp to the sub.

Frank

Shajan

Auditioning
Frank, thanks for checking it out. It's a 25 pin connector. Polk receiver sends it a proprietary turn on signal.

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if they use the standard db25 cable assignments... I know Rotel had then on most of their equipment http://www.rotel.com/support/files/db25-techup.pdf ... I guess you could always test out with a low line level source and some probes. If you only use the built in amp to drive the sub (ie: no satellites hooked up to it) it'll just lighten it's load and improve headroom the way I see it. You may find yourself with the world cheapest functioning sub... ;)

Shajan

Auditioning
rOB
"You may find yourself with the world cheapest functioning sub..."

That's what I'm hoping :)
I found the preamp inputs, but the problem is, Polk also sends a turn on signal through the db25 cable. I figured out that the signal is 24V, but when I rigged it, I hear the relay click once, and then nothing. I guess the amp is looking for something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks