Any Help For Boosting My Web Site Results in Google/Yahoo?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MikeM, May 26, 2006.

1. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Nov 23, 1999
    I own a small business that generates most of its business via the web. Thus, for a while now I've been paying under the Google Adwords program to have my site listed as a "Sponsored Link". I've also done the same approach via Yahoo's Overture program. The results have been good but costly.

Thus, I wanted to get some feedback on exactly how I can bump up my web site's listing in the standard search results area (not sponsored links) via Google or Yahoo.

I know that many times the popularity of the "top links" are reserved for sites that have many other sites linking to them. Thus, does anyone know of a legit link exchange type service that would provide this?

I don't want to do anything that could be considered spamming, but I know there must be something I could do to boot my list results on Google or Yahoo.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
  2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer

May 9, 2002
    Cameron Yee
    One important distinction I learned between Google and Yahoo is that Google is a "phrase engine" and Yahoo a Web directory. What does that mean for getting ranked? Well, for Google that means having phrases in your site that match what people are looking for. Of course Google is also smart enough to notice if you're just repeating phrases nonsensically. Being linked to from other sites is also a major component, but keep in mind that if a page on a site has a bunch of links on it, Google will give it less credit compared to a page that has just one or two. Sort of like taking advice from someone - who do you trust more, the person who recommends every movie he sees or the one who recommends something only when it's really good? So consider how effective a link exchange site might actually be.

I have a friend whose wife does Web marketing and Google periodically changes its algorithms and she has to redo everything. What she does, I have no idea. That's why she gets paid for it. [​IMG] You might look into hiring such a person, especially if you're paying a lot already. It might be worthwhile to do a comparison with what you've been doing with AdWords.