Any H/K 525 owners using “6 ch DVD Audio” over “6 ch Direct” for DVD-A/SACD playback?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Pine, Jan 5, 2004.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I realize by going "Direct" you are using the bass mgnt of the player, but can you tell much of a difference? Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. GregorySB

GregorySB Extra

I have had an AVR 630 for about 2 weeks. I have very limited experience with SACD (I got a Pioneer 563a for xmas). On the two discs I have listened to, I tried both the 6ch direct and 6ch dvd audio inputs to see which I preferred more. It's actually hard to say.

With the 6ch direct, I configured the 563a to all large speakers with no sub. For 6ch dvd audio, I configured the 563a to all small speakers with a sub.

I could definitely tell a difference between the inputs. The direct input seemed cleaner, but the dvd-audio input seemed to do a better job with the bass. I think overall I probably prefer the receiver doing the bass management. I think this is probably because of the very flexible triple crossover settings on the receiver.

If you try both settings, I'm sure you will hear a difference. Be sure to reconfigure the player's bass management settings when you switch between the direct and dvd-audio inputs.

3. John Pine

John Pine
    Good info, thanks for the feedback Gregory!

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I am unfamiliar with the H/K, but IIRC, it does do BM on at least one of the 6 CH analog in's, right? And it is configurable?

If so, you want to set the 563 to all large/sub on, and let the HK handle BM. The 563 does strange things with BM (IIRC, the crossover for DVD-A is 200 Hz....way too high for most users).

Being able to do proper BM via the H/K would surely yield superior results, and it would work on ALL formats, even DD and DTS if you did not want to connect a digital cable for whatever reason.

Sure beats having to buy a ICBM, as I did with my Pio 45a.

BGL

5. John Pine

John Pine
    Brian: Yes the HK 525 does 4-way bass mgnt on mains, center, surrounds and sub. All are configurable at 40/60/80/etc.... Of course I could use that setup but the 2900 does B/M but fixed at 80Hz with a direct signal when using the H/K "6 ch Direct" feature.

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Sorry...thought the player in question was a Pio 563????

No problem. One final comment..I think Gregory mentioned an all large/no sub setting.

That is usually death for the .1 channel. Most (but perhaps not all) players will NOT redirect when there is no sub in the system.

So anyway, for the 563, all large/sub on and BM in the HK is the ticket.

BGL