What's new

Any guesses regarding the latest (May, 2011) Criterion newsletter "clue"? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'd almost guess we were at last getting a great-looking transfer of Korda's THE JUNGLE BOOK, were it not for the apron that the black panther is wearing...

Can't think of what this might be hinting at.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Robert, I am not sure how to create a link from an e-mail, or I would gladly do so for you.

Martin - Interesting guess. I assume, then, that the panther is wearing a dress, not an apron. God, the amount of restoration needed for LOST SOULS, especially if it might come to Blu-ray, has to be almost insurmountable!

Any other guesses?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Most of those Criterion clues leave me flummoxed, but this one immediately screamed out "Cat People" to me as well. If that's the case, you'd think it would be the 1942 Val Lewton original (see Kris' link). But that was released by Warner a few years back as part of their excellent Lewton box, and I thought Warner never licensed films to Criterion. So could it be the 1982 Paul Schrader remake? It does have kind of a camp/cult classic status, and the cat in the drawing is clearly a black panther like those in the film, and the "dress" looks similar to the nightgown that Nastassia Kinski "lost" on her famous midnight prowl...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It's 100% Island of Lost Souls

- Rumored for Criterion for a couple years now

- Has a Panther Woman advertised on the original posters

- Picture file is called "wackypanther"

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I'm going with Paul Schrader's CAT PEOPLE; It fits the criteria of what Criterion releases. It is quirky and has cult following, they have a good working relationship with Schrader and they release quite a few Universal titles. Kinski turns into a panther and wears a slip that is like the one in the drawing. The original CAT PEOPLE is Warner and the don't seem to license out titles.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Not sure about 1982 Cat People--It had already been released by Universal on DVD, and I'm don't know about Criterion going out of its way for Cat People on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

It's 100% Island of Lost Souls

- Rumored for Criterion for a couple years now

- Has a Panther Woman advertised on the original posters

- Picture file is called "wackypanther"
I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope!

Either Cat People or Island of Lost Souls, they'd both fit an October release schedule.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Despite my first post, I suspect Martin & Brandon are right, for the sole reason that Island of Lost Souls has been previously rumored for Criterion and Cat People has not. You gotta admit, however, that the clue works equally well for both films.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Nope. The white nightgown pushes it over into Cat People territory. I'd much rather have Island of Lost Souls, but I don't see it happening.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
It's Island - trust me on this. Brandon is 100% correct on the 100% part.

OTOH, Cat people is 100% at Warners. Scratch this one.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
It's ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, thankfully. So there is no more need for guessing. Over at the Classic Horror Film Board, a trusted member who is sort of on the "inside" regarding these things pretty much said as much weeks ago - though he did not come right out and say it, because it's a touchy issue, and these companies don't want anyone to spill their beans before they can.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
island of lost souls, from criterion, and universal finaly going deep in the catalog with the anouncement of Shrinking Man, this is turning out to be a good year!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well I guess they finally found a good print of Island of Lost Souls then. That was holding up release all those years ago IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks