Any grownups at BestBuy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by gary s. miller, Jun 6, 2001.

1. gary s. miller

gary s. miller Auditioning

I'd sure hate to meet the corporate genius that thought Best Buy radio was a good idea. I'm referring to their in store music service. I cannot enter my local Best Buy now (2x this week) without being assaulted by very aggressive heavy metal pumping through every department in the store at ear bleed levels (Westbury, N.Y.). The first time I thought it was the result of carelessness or negligence by a sales rep in the speaker section. I was wrong. They do this blasting on purpose( an announcer periodically proudly proclaims Best Buy radio!). I could barely carry on a conversation much less think. I couldn't get out the door fast enough. I might enjoy this unique shopping experience if I were 12 but last nights visit to Best Buy was like a visit to the dentist or having lunch next to a jackhammer. It was my last.
    ------------------

2. Steve T

Steve T Stunt Coordinator

This must be something new. Last time I was at Best Buy there was no music, except for what was coming from the audio/T.V. sections.

3. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I'd hardly call what they play heavy metal. The volume has been modulated at a reasonable level where I go.

4. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

You think the Best Buy Radio in-store play is annoying after a 15 or 30 minute shopping visit?
    Try withstanding that crap for an eight-hour shift. Save a few of the tracks that they put on there each month, I'd rather listen to nothing at all than BBR.
    It sucks.
    -mwb-
    I'll probably get canned for this post.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

5. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

And that would be a bad thing???
    ------------------
    M. Hyde

6. gary s. miller

Actually, I don't remember this audio assault at the Best Buy store I visited recently in Southern California. Either this is something new or perhaps my experience here is the result of some local misguided market research.
    ------------------

7. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator

It wouldn't surpirse me if it was an employee taking over the store's CD player for an afternoon or evening. What I usually hear at BB is pretty mainstream, with an emphasis on AC.
    ------------------
    Matthew Kiernan

8. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

LOL gary i live in Floral Park also and shop at the westbury store. Im heading there tommorow. Yes the music is pumping in there
    capt

9. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Several times when I've gone to the BestBuy in Memphis (Germantown) there's been blasting noise and I try to make my way to a part of the store that isolated from that area as quickly as possible. Really annoying to walk in the door and have your ears assaulted by such bad music, distorted and way too loud.
    Any store managers of BBs that are reading this, addres this issue with your employees, please.
    ------------------
    My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

10. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

I can't believe nobody has mentioned anything about how the employees get on the PA system incessantly and blare out garbled rants at shattering decibel levels. All the BBs in my area have speakers directly above the dvd section, and every time I go in any of them, it's like the kids have this contest to see who can talk over the PA the most. It's really a shock when you're looking through the selection, and all of a sudden you're assaulted by a sonic blast. The first instance on every visit is of course always the worst, shocking me to near heart attack extremes. After that, I just get progressively pissed and pretty much leave without buying anything. REAL f**kin' annoying! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    M. Hyde

11. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I was at the BB in westbury yesterday afternoon and the music was not loud anymore. Maybe someone complained?
    capt

12. gary s. miller

Joey: I'm not surprised they toned it down. There is no logic or percentage in blasting anything at high volume throughout the store. No one goes to an appliance or electronics store to dance.
    ------------------