Any Graphic Designers here? Quick question for you or anybody knowledgable..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Chung, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Okay, I read (thoroughly) all the threads here in the forum and tried finding information posted about Video cards (yeah, again) that are adequate for graphic designing.

Now I have all the components that I need to build my computer, except for picking out my Vid Card.

Here it is:

AMD Athlon XP 1800

Asus A7V266-E Motherboard

at least 512 MB DDR RAM

and a NEC MultiSync FE1250+ Monitor (20")

I know should have at least the "GeForce 3" and at least 64MB. S-Video out would be nice, and gaming will be at a minimum, but I'm just too overtaken with all the brands out there, and I'm not sure what I'll be needing.

I know I'm asking a lot, but I would appreciate any help guys!

Thanks,

Chris

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

The ATI cards are usually considered to have an edge when it comes to graphics quality. I'm sure you'd be happy with an ATI Radeon 8500... I have friends gaming away at 1600x1200 at over 60 frames per second, so it's definitely fast enough.

3. Demetri K

Demetri K Stunt Coordinator

Actually I would go with the geforce 3. I myself use a Oxogen card for my one comp(I do nothing but #D modeling and animation on) and a geforce 3 on my other pc(mainly internet, games, photoshop, 2d work) Ati cards are very picky and there driver support sux right now compared to nvidia. those are my 2 cents!

4. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

Are you sure you don't want to go with a Mac? I mean, if you're not going to do much gaming, and want to use it for graphic design, a Mac might have better performance.

But if you really want to stay with a PC, go for the ATI.

5. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Head over to www.pcworld.com
    They rate the top 10 graphics cards, monitors, pc's, etc. every month.

6. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

7. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm, delving more into the Vid Card thing, I was curious about one aspect that the GeForce 3's share. What is the difference between the Ti200's and the Ti500's?

Thanks for all the posts people,

Chris

8. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

9. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

For the best Geforce on the market, go with an Nvidia Geforce3 Ti500 if you can spend $300
    Anandtech awarded the MSI G3Ti500 Pro-VT editors choice for the best Geforce3 Ti500 card. That review also test all Geforce2 Ti200 and GF3 Ti500 cards, how they did overclocked and temperatures.
    The ATI Radeon 8500 with the latest drivers did perform up to par with the Geforce3 Ti500 and is considerably lower priced at $165 at several online retailers for an OEM card. The radeon actually outperformed the Geforce3 Ti500 on an advanced Unreal2 type engine benchmark.
    I believe the anandtech forum would be the place to ask these type of questions as most members have their system rigs in their signature.