Any good widescreen non-RPTVs for a reasonable price?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSchmidt, Oct 1, 2002.

1. NickSchmidt

NickSchmidt Agent

... That don't suck? I'm thinking of getting something along the lines of a Samsung TXM3096HF but it seems a little too small. Are there any other TV's a like it but a little bit larger, and a good price (I'm talking under 1500 bucks). If not, then I have some questions about the TXM3096HF:

1. Does it offer regular 4:3 mode with vertical bars on the side when watching regular cable? (If so, how big would the screen be then with those two chunks taken out of the side?)

2. How would regular cable look through it?

3. Are samsungs any good?

4. Is the picture quality really good? Like when using a component cable on it to use the HDTV aspect of it, is this TV's HDTV good? (because I've seen some crummy HDTVs before)

5. The only thing that REALLY worries me is that it's a flat screen CRT. I have a 27" Toshiba flat screen (the one that's about $549) and the geometry IS SO MESSED UP. No matter how much tweaking I do in the service menu, I simply can't get it to display ANY straight lines at all. Please tell me TVs have gotten past this problem...

2. NickSchmidt

NickSchmidt Agent

*bump*

3. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

Here's another thought for you...

Go to digitalconnection.com and check out their 30" Monivision HDTV for $1499 free shipping. It's almost identical to the Princeton Graphic 3.0HD that was held to be one of the best DV HDTVs ever. (Princeton Graphics are mostly or entirely rebadged Monivisions.)

This TV doesn't suck. The Sammy's OK, but this one's better on PQ, and has some features you may or may not use. (PC/HTPC interface, PAL capable, displays 480i, 480P, 720P, 1080i, fine dot pitch etc.) And it's not, I don't think, a flat screen.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Not for $1500. All the 34" 16x9 set's start at about $1800.

5. Don Beverly

Don Beverly Extra

With careful shopping, you can find the RCA f38310 either in a refurb or sale price at 1500-1600 and less. This from a value standpoint is a no-brainer with it's large widescreen, slightly bowed screen for less geometry problems and a built in 500+ HD decoder/receiver. Even if you don't want directtv satellite, it will pickup the ota broadcast signals as well.

With what it offers, there isn't anything close to it in price.

Look for the YX5 on the newer models for improved circuitry.