What's new

Any good Receiver/DVD Combo units? (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Our current DVD player has skipping problems with almost every DVD I put in. I have tried viewing these DVD's on other players with no problems. Our Receiver is also about 10 years old, so it has none of the current sound schemes. Some of the input jacks no longer work, so it is impossible to connect both a DVD Player and VCR and be able to use surround sound on both machines. I am looking for a replacement receiver with a built-in CD/DVD drive for under 400 dollars. Can it be done? I don't want one bundled with little speakers. We already have some nice speakers.

I am looking for a reputable brand, i.e., Sony, Pioneer, etc.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You can only buy those as HT in a box schemes

Frankly, I really really wouldn't bother with them. You can get a nice reciever with built-in AV jacks for well under 200 and DD/DTS

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Really? I am almost certain I have seen one somewhere. Remember, I need a new DVD player as well. So that reciever for 200 would not be good. I really don't want to seperate machines. Besides my mother will only buy one machine. If I can find one with a built-in CD/DVD player, that would be a bonus. Maybe someone else will have some info.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
If you want everything built in one box I am aware of 2 choices, the first and more expensive being the Linn Classik Movie. It is in a small box and includes the DVD player, amps, etc. and is extremely high quality. It is not cheap at $2,995 list, www.classik.com. The other is Onkyo. Last year, they had a model, DR-90. I don't recall what the list price was but if you can find one now it is likely at a close-out price. A couple searches disclosed the following sites (and according to the 3rd site, the price is $399.99) I would not expect them to be available new for long if there are any left:
http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/...d/onkyo/dr-90/
http://www.energenix.com/onkyo-dr90.html
Link Removed

Drew_E

Agent
hello. i was just about to post something similar, as i am searching for something similar. however 'all in one' solutions normally don't have much of a place in a forum like this, but hopefully someone can humor us with at least a comment.
i know for a fact that it can be done for under 400. i was at CostCO (which is an outlet located in most of the U.S.) and there was a 350W Panasonic DVD/VCD/CD/MP3? receiver that looked solid from my angle. Sure it came with 5 really horrid speakers but they'll work for the time being unless you already have some speakers taking up residence in your place.
the other all in one solution i had my eye on is this:
Link Removed
ok this is an all in two solution. it is over your 400 dollar price range but i beleive these auctions end at around 550. here is one such ebay auction. from afar this appears to be a very nice unit. i don't see how one could be disappointed with this on such a budget. comments anyone?

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I am sorry, but I am afriad my only option is a Home Theater in a Box. Can someone reccomend a stable system? I have read some reviews, but they have conflicting information.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
A few months ago, Toshiba had one of those things, receiver/DVD combo with no spkrs. I believe it has been discontinued and also reviews on it weren't good. Sharp also had one but I haven't seen one around as well.

For HTBs, Pioneers were the craze...especially the 504's ( I think) which actually ahd DPLII on board. I don't know if a there has been a replacement for it but I installed one a friend's and they rock! For $499, it did the job and then some.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Is anyone familliar with the Pioneer HTD-510DV? Here is the product info page @ BestBuy.com. This looks like is has the features I need, for a decent price. What I need to know, is is it reliable. I was reading the review for a Sony HTB, and several of the reviews were very negative. What about this one?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks