any good power amp under $400?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mubashir, Feb 26, 2002.

1. mubashir

mubashir Agent

I think my Sony STR-DB1070 reciever is under powered so before I damage my front speakers I think I should get a power amp.I am looking for anything with a rating of 100Watts X 2 or above for under $400.Any help here would be hot....

2. Rich G

Rich G Stunt Coordinator

There are lots of good amps out there. Are you looking for new or used? Check out www.audiogon.com for prices of used amps. Are you looking to add an amp for just the two channels? You can pick up a 5 cahnnel X 60~80 watts for $3-400.

3. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

To ad to what rich g mentioned above......a 5 channel 60-80 wpc amp will significantly increase the power of what you have currently (cleaner power/more power all channels driven).

4. mubashir

mubashir Agent

I think I just need a two channel amp for now to drive by large fronts.Currently I'm setting them to "small" and would prefer to set them to "large" since it sounds much better that way and my reciever doesn't have the power to drive them efficently.I'll just let the reciever handle the center and surround and need a good two channel amp preferably above 100 Watts.I was thinking of thr Rotel RB1070 but they are just too expensive for me.

5. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

How about a Parasound HCA-1000. 125 watts/channel $400.00 on Audiogon.com, check ebay also.

6. mubashir

mubashir Agent

Are power rating of power amps rated the same way as recievers?Are there any companys that lie about their power amp rating like Sony does with its recievers?

7. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

I placed a brand new B&K ST2140 in the market area

a few days ago. (Feb 18, 2002)

I can still bring this back for a full refund.

But it's a few $'s over your $400.

A Very nice amp at 140 WPC.

Jerry

8. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I got a NAD 214 (2X80) that I would let go at $250

9. mubashir

mubashir Agent

The problem is I'm living in Malaysia so delivering them would cost an arm and leg.The cheapest amp I can get here is the Rotel RB1050 which costs RM 2300(RM stands for ringgit malaysia. It is valued 3.8 the us dollar.)The rotel in us is $600 so if you times that with 3.8 you get 2280 with is around RM2300.Thats why I asked in us dollar since all product price here is of direct conversion.Is it true that all Rotel product are made in Chiona?