Any good online book reviews?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ike, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I want a good resource of current and past book reviews, not unlike IMDB, that's fairly tasteful. I want a reviewer that will recommend what's good, not what's popular.

Is there such a sight?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

No, because quite simply there are billions of books to read...no one person has the time to reach so many!
    Also, speed readers don't always make the best reviewers (in fact, they tend to be terrible, from my experience).
    Youre best bet is to determine what books interest you, then go to Amazon.com and read the reviews. Amazon also has a "reviewer rating" which might be helpful. Although I think it would be of dubious use...for all we know, the top-rated reviewer has the same tastes as Oprah Winfrey. [​IMG]

3. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Nothing like a bit of self-promotion . . .
    I launched my personal web site about a month ago. I don't have too many book responses up yet, but my "words" links page might be helpful.
    http://www.longpauses.com/links_words.htm
    Those are some of my favorite book sites, at least.

4. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Might as well promote my site too [​IMG]
    You can find it here

5. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

Amazon also makes recommendations based on your ratings of other books. if you order a book they recommend and don't enjoy it you can return it, even after reading it!

6. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

New York Times online.
    http://www.nytimes.com
    You'll have to register (it's free and I've yet to receive junk mail of any kind.)
    They have archives of their Sunday book reviews going back to 1995 or 1996, including synopsis of their notable books of the year, best seller lists, and general book info. Very comprehensive and has always served my needs well. I've read many books based solely on their reviews that I wouldn't have otherwise and thoroughly enjoyed most of them.
    Plus, you get access the whole online paper to boot. Great site, I highly recommend it.

7. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Mark - you're an Amazon customer? I wouldn't have suspected any Canadians to be buying from them especially with taxes, shipping, brokerage, etc. How do you find it?