What's new

Any good horn kits? (1 Viewer)

Gary Joe

Stunt Coordinator
Since I don't think I can find the sound I'm looking for in a normal or even planar tweet is there any descent horn tweet kits. What are the drawbacks of horn tweets? I assume there are some or more people would use them.

Secondly, I was hoping a planar tweeter(s) would give equal or similar detail and transparency as electrostatics. Of course, not having heard a planar tweet speaker before it would probably be beneficial to seek some out so that I may judge with my own ears. Could anyone having heard a planar tweet speaker care to comment. Are there any commercial offerings that use planars that I may find to listen to?

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Gary---An outfit called Pi makes horn kits of various sizes and qualities, some use JBL Pro drivers which are very good (and expensive). I've heard some of the larger Pi speakers and they're pretty good. They've a website, do a search.
IMO the finest horns were those made by the "real" Altec-Lansing company, now out of business. But the drivers and crossovers are still widely available used and NOS. The components used in their home horn systems were the same used in their theater speakers meant for smaller theaters under 450 seats. One can easily build such a system; they are simple 2-ways using 15" woofers in vented boxes crossing at either 500 or 800hz to a compression driver and horn. And a system that can handle a 400 seat theater will be very effortless in your home.
Drawbacks to good horns are expense and size. Good compression drivers are much more expensive devices to make then direct-radiating tweeters and there's also the expense of the horn. High efficiency 15" woofers need large boxes. Advantages are that with the right horn and driver combination, Altec 902 drivers on 511B horns, you can cover the range from 500hz right on up with a single device. And you'll have dynamics, clarity and low distortion no direct-radiators can match. They can sail at levels at which direct-radiators have long since given in to crunchy dynamic compression.
You should be able to find a pair of used Altec 902 compression drivers for no more than $300 a pair and a set of Altec 511B horns for them for about $100-$200 a pair. Figure about $300-$400 for a pair of 15" model 416 woofers. Check ebay if interested, lots of Altec there.
www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Don't forget about Adire's HE10.1 and HE12.1 speakers. Expect high efficiency, good bass response and fantastic imaging with these not to mention great dynamics.

This past weekend I had to opportunity to listen to two pairs of Linus arrays that use planar tweeters. Overall I absolutely loved them and am strongly considering building a pair myself. For me though, the tweeters were just a tad over the top...could be fixed to my liking by padding the tweeters just a touch. IMO the detail was incredible and they played very true to the music.

Gary Joe

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys! Dan, I am interested very much in the Linus array, excell array(drool), or the GR alpha LS. How was the sound stage and dynamics for those linus's. What were they powering them with?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Gary,
Well, the listening area was not the best (a hotel "conference room") but even in there the sound stage was HUGE. No matter where you went in the room the sound just enveloped you...even standing BEHIND the speakers. Dynamics were very nice as well. And the bass response? Oh dear lord! In case you couldn't tell already, I really liked them. ;)
The only slightly negative comment I would have on the Linus array is the semi-limited vertical dispersion. When I stood up (I'm 6'1") the high end got lost a little bit. Not too bad, but noticeable. But the vertical dispersion was good enough that I would still build them for my home which has tiered seating (back couch on 10" riser). The GR Research Alpha array will most likely have better vertical dispersion and go a little lower, but at about twice the cost you'll have to decide for yourself if it's worth it.
I hope that helps. Feel free to ask me any more questions if you want. Or send me an email. I'll be out of town until Tuesday morning though, so I may take a bit getting back to you.
Regards,
Dan Hine

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Lambda technically isn't offering the Unity Horn kit anymore. But I think they still have a few. If you ask really nice you might be able to get your hands on a couple of the remaining ones.
http://www.lambdacoustics.com/unity.html
Here's another good page with info on the Unity Horn (which by the way was designed by Tom Danley).
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks