Any good Home Theatres in a Box?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris K, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Chris K

Chris K Auditioning

I'm looking to buy a new DVD player (my current one's life force is dwindling away). I was just wondering if there is any packaged Player/Receiever/5.1 Speaker system that is affordable, and not a complete piece of garbage. My brother has a Sony HT in a box he got, and it doesnt sound all that bad. I mean, I know it's not the greatest HT ever, but for a guy like me it's perfect, I just don't want to buy trash. Any suggestions?

2. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

How much are you willing to spend? Here's a nice one from Denon for $750 + shipping.
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...bad92126ad473f
    Heck, here are many good choices. Also, I'm sure the Onkyo, Panasonic, Pioneer and Kenwood would also be good pics as well. You can kind of fit into your budget while viewing this page.
    http://www.circuitcity.com/frame1.js...ftchildcat.jsp
    BTW, don't even bother looking toward the bottom of the page. The Bose Lifestyle will really pick your pocket clean.
    «edit»
    Heck, on further look, the specs don't even look all too enticing... for 1,300 bucks.
    [​IMG]
    There are too many NO's, Unavailable's and One way's listed there. [​IMG] But hey, they have a headphone jack.

3. Chris K

Chris K Auditioning

That's the Bose Difference™

Thanks for the link. Quite honestly, I'm looking to spend the least amount of money possible =)

4. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

I've had a Panasonic minisystem/HTiB in the past and I thought it did quite well. Here's a link to a nice system that retails for about $350 and has many, many playback formats (DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, DVD-R, Video CD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3). If you get a chance, see if Circuit City can hook one up for ya and give it a listen.

5. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I really like that system Adam, but it tends to run hot. The only time I have ever had it returned is due to problems w/ it overheating and starts acting up. This is like 1:15 returned to sold ratio.

6. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

I personally like the Onkyo Envision systems myself, eventhough I've never owned a HTIB. The Envision sounds very decent for both movies and music and also has pre-outs so you can use that little DVD player/receiver unit with more amplification in the future if you want to upgrade. Other than that, if you want to have SACD capability, the Sony systems are not bad either, but the Onkyo sounds better. Good luck!

7. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Right now I'm using a Sony HT-DDW830 HTiB for my system. It doesn't comw with a DVD player but does come with a full speaker set-up (which doesn't sound too bad) a 100 watt self-amped subwwofer, and a reciever that supports DD5.1 and DTS5.1. It is my first sytem and IMHO is a great way to get into HT (at least for me).

8. YANG

YANG Second Unit

While most of the other makers' HTiB does not feature progressive scan,what i see is the PIONEER and PHILIPS had released HTiB with P.scan.
    I had forgot the model number of the PIONNER HTiB,only remembers the PHILIPS number,LX-3500D.

9. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

YANG,
    The HTiB units sold in Singapore are very different from the ones we have in the U.S. I'm from the Lion City myself and was just back there 2 weeks ago to visit my folks--HTiB stuff there is WAY more impressive, I think partly because 3 quarters of the population living in fairly small apartments, although it hasn't stopped the influx of very large TVs though [​IMG]

10. YANG

YANG Second Unit

"The HTiB units sold in Singapore are very different from the ones we have in the U.S."

EUJIN,
    I assume that what you are saying is that in the states,the HTiB packages are mostly made up of speakers but without the amplification/player units right?
    Or r you referring to the power output of the whole system of local sets rated in PMPO while the U.S sets are mostly in RMS?

If you are saying that in terms of model options,i agree with you.
    Like what you say,most of the residents lived in small apartments just like what the japanese people living envoiroment is.
    Most of these HTiBs are from the japanese makers,with very few from the european or american electronics giants which may cost much more than seperates.Currently available in the market from the U.S makers are JBL,TERAPIN and BOSE.From the european makers are PHILIPS and THOMSON.

IMO,in UK,the HTiB options are much more than what we have here.

11. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

JVC THE500
    best bang for the buck I've heard...

12. Stasulos

Stasulos Stunt Coordinator

What's the great difference between HTiB and DVD/Receiver/Sound/etc. system exactly? What are the pros & cons?

The way I see it is that HTiB is cheaper and easier to install, but doen't allow you to hand pick the components you want. What else?

13. YANG

YANG Second Unit

Lets take a look at HTiBs.
    *Compact sized packaged HOMETHEATER IN A BOX system with amplification/dvdplayer/receiver all in one unit.
    *Complete with 5 satellite speakers and powered subwoofers.
    *Easy connections/set up.
    *One package price-cheaper cost than full seperate components.

Take a look at seperates.
    *Requires lots of speace due to the combination of different components,seperation of amplification/receiver unit,DVDplayers and others.
    *Speakers sold seperately.Depend on the makes chosen,some speaker packages may cost much more expensive than all in one package if the speakers chosen are from different makers.Bigger size than HTiBs.
    *Connection cables are optional,from interconnects to speaker cables.Depend on the manufacturer chosen,some cables may cost up to 4digit level.Time consuming connections.
    *Higher cost due to seperate component price,seperate cable price,furniture price.

In terms of performance,to the HTiBs,it is usually the room size and power output that affects the result.No to forget how hard the speakers/subs can handle the soundtracks.Seperates depends on the speaker performance,amplification and cable used for speaker connections as well as the quality of interconnects.

In terms of durability and features,seperates offers better flexibility and durability.If one one the section of HTiB breaks down,such as DVDplayer section,you will have to sent the whole set for service.Leaving behind only the speakers.
    Seperates offers more features,where you can add in more other operating components to the setup.
    HTiB have limited inputs.

14. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Just add my 2cts worth.HTIB are mainly for beginners who
    just got started into the Home theater fad. It's also due
    to the cost factor. For below 1K over here they can have one
    whole system ready to rock. Where as seperates are for the
    more enthusiast or hobbyist who likes to tweak and combine
    the system individually.

It's just like photography. Beginners can look forward to
    those compact ready to shoot cameras where as the more serious ones look towards SLR with interchangeable lenses
    and accessories.