What's new

any Good HDTV'S out there (1 Viewer)

Don

Second Unit
ok since the cable company by me is supposedly going to begin. broadcasting in spring i was looking for a good widescreen HDTV or HDTV ready tv can anyone make some suggestions Please. Don,

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
You might check the earlier threads in this area and the Televisions and Projectors area of the forum.
Televisions are largely a personal taste. I like Toshiba and Mitsubishi (and recently went from a 1998 Toshiba TW40H80 to a 2001 Mitsubishi 65907, which has a gorgeous picture).
There are also other Toshiba fans around here, and I've seen comments on everything from Hitachi to Sony to Panasonic, and more.
What's your budget? That can be a determining factor, too.
Cheers,
Steve

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
I think the best thing to do is to wait. The reason is that the DVDO iScan Pro's line doubler is superior to any current set's line doubler, and within the next year you should see sets start shipping with the DVDO iScan Pro's Sil 503 (or equivalent) as the internal line doubler. So, you save an automatic $700ish by waiting, plus whatever price drops and technology advances occur in the next few months.
If you, like me and can't wait, here are my suggestions: Philips 64PH9905 (or its cheaper HD-ready sister), Sony VPL-VW10HT, Philips 60PP9601, or Sony 61HS10. The last two are 4:3 sets than do the 16:9 anamorphic squeeze, so they really are equivalent to widescreen sets when in squeeze mode. The last three sets are only HD-ready. The Toshiba 56H80 or similar Toshibas are worth looking at only if you're going to get a HTPC. For direct view, the Princeton Graphics sets that can do the squeeze may be the only ones that will do a good job on HDTV.
-Abdul

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Don,
The Pioneer Elites are great sets. They have a fantastic internal line doubler- so good, in fact, that a progressive scan DVD player is "optional" with these sets. IMO, they provide the best overall package (albeit at the highest cost, but what did you expect
wink.gif
) in terms of putting it all together- great optics, great screen, great doubler, and upgradeability.
I am VERY much enjoying my Elite Pro-510HD, and I have yet to see HDTV on it yet in my home (holding out for more content before I throw down for the sat box).
Todd

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
The Toshiba 56H80 or similar Toshibas are worth looking at only if you're going to get a HTPC.
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning behind this statement. Could you please try to clarify this for me? Thanks, Chris
------------------
Home Theater: http://www.ig-88.net

george king

Supporting Actor
the logic is this. The toshibas will only do the squeeze on a 1080i source not a 480p or 480i source. However, with a computer based system, the software will allow you to select the scan rate, so you could out put a 540p signal to the Tosh, and it will then do the squeeze.
Hope this helps.

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, I was retarded, the 56H80 is a 16:9 set, and it is worth considering if you're not going to watch a lot of 4:3 TV. But you might think twice about the 4:3 Toshibas, because they won't do the squeeze down to 16:9 unless you feed them 540p+.
-Abdul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks