Any good Hardware Forums?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Jul 1, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

You know, ones where people can speak intelligently and clearly about solving a problem? I did find one a long time ago, but it was a pay site run by IT Proffesionals...

Also, a note to the Mods...Any chance you guys can create a sticky somewhere on the forum, that would keep people up to date about what Hollywood, and 'The Man' is trying to do on the issue of 'copy protection'? I was reading another forum, and someone stated one of the newer ATI MMC's now sometime display a message stating, 'Program Protected, ending recording...'. Needless to say the forum members didn't like that at all...

I propose a 'National No Cable' Month. When things start to get really bad, either with annoying show popups, or the goverment trying to take away our free rights use to make one copy of our recorded programs, make a statement about it. Cancel your digital cable bill for one month, and only go with broadcast basic. That's more or less less than $15's anyway.

Show Hollywood you don 't care about their programing if they are going to mess with it so much, and can well do without it. There's always video games, and real life, after all [​IMG].

Sadly, I doubt many people will do this... but it's a dream [​IMG]

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

IT? For computer help I usually turn to Google first, then Arstechnica.com second.

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Tried our own PC area already? Rather relaxed, but we DO have some knowledgeable people who are willing to help (if they happen to read your question [​IMG] ).

Cees

4. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Heh, I get frustrated using search engines. No matter what, or how I type a search, I never find anything I'm looking for [​IMG]....

Yep, i usually go to the PC area here, but it's not that active for interesting reading daily [​IMG]..

I guess I'm looking for a good Tech News Page/Forum combined [​IMG].

5. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
  6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
  7. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

^ second that. A lot of kids who live to hack their computers on that board and know a ton of stuff.

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Why do you think punishing a company(ies) for actions taken by the government is a good idea?

9. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I agree with you that our hardware forums here are not nearly as good as they once were. I think it happened round about the time when the hardware forums were split into so many different categories, and a few key hardware 'experts' left the board for one reason or another.

Nevertheless, I still think you should try there first to get your answer. If unsuccessful, and you absolutely cannot find your answer here, I find avsforum to be very good for hardware issues. Good luck!

As far as your 'us against the man' idea is concerned, I think that goes against the very nature of this forum, which was/is all about bringing hollywood closer to us, the HT freaks, so we would have more insight into various aspects of the industry, and yes, even a say into industry issues. I suggest trying another forum for that type of idea, as it just doesn't fit in here.

10. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

As far as your 'us against the man' idea is concerned, I think that goes against the very nature of this forum, which was/is all about bringing hollywood closer to us, the HT freaks, so we would have more insight into various aspects of the industry, and yes, even a say into industry issues. I suggest trying another forum for that type of idea, as it just doesn't fit in here.>>>

Yeah, true. It is standoffish. But I really doubt companies like Paramount, or warner Brothers would listen to a few hundred letters written in or calls placed...most likley it would just wind up deleted or in the trash. if a show was made with money spent on cable, where all their stuff is first run..that might make an impact..

A better option might be to have stores like Best Buy, and Circuit City get in on the action, and have an in store petition showing how many people are annoyed by things being pulled today. On screen advertising and popups, Copy Protection up the wazoo, commercials jammed in every chance gotten and shorter show times...

It could also be expanded....Best Buy could have an easy way for people to contact the studios with suggestions. When you are in the store, bring in your letter, they'll make sure it gets to the proper department. In the end, it could meet with better products and shows in the long run....

A Pipe Dream, I know... but a fun one [​IMG].