Any good flea markets in Central CA? (Sac-LA)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jesse Skeen, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'm taking a week off from work pretty soon and planning on driving down to the Los Angeles area, since I haven't been there in a long time. My main objective will be to look for junk- mainly CED videodiscs, interesting records, 8-track tapes and probably laserdiscs too now that they're a dead format.
    I'll be leaving Sacramento on a Friday evening after work, and I'll have to decide which big stretch of nothingness to drive through- either Highway 99 (which goes through Fresno) or I-5, which doesn't seem to go through any interesting towns. If there's any good flea markets in any of these areas I'll make sure to time it to be there on Saturday. I'll stop at whatever thrift stores I can find along the way too. Hopefully I'll make it to Valencia (near Magic Mountain) by the end of Saturday to visit a friend there, so I'd like to know if there's any good flea markets near there or LA I can hit on Sunday as well. (The best flea markets up here in Sacramento BTW are Denio's in Roseville, and to a lesser extent the one on Folsom Blvd. in Sacramento). I only care about the ones where people sell their used junk, not the ones that only have produce and knock-off clothing.
    During the week I plan on hitting as many thrift stores and used record and video stores in the area as I can. I know there's an Amoeba Music down there that sounds like a must- I try to go to the ones in San Francisco and Berkeley as much as possible since they get in laserdiscs a lot. If anyone has any other recommendations, I'll promise not to snag ALL the good stuff.

2. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

There's one in Galt on Tuesdays but I doubt its as good as Denio's.

But, if you really want to score, check out the Lodi Street Faire on May 2nd. There's tons of things there...antiques, crafts, you name it.

3. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

It's been years since I have been to a flee market so I have question to those who do go regularly. As Ebay and other on line auction places basically diminished the quality of the items you find at flee markets?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Ebay's definitely taken a bite out of stuff you can find, as there are people who are apparently buying stuff just to re-sell it on Ebay (I've always been flatly against that practice, never doing it myself since it's unfair to the other people who go to the flea market or thrift store, though on the other hand I've gotten stuff from Ebay from parts of the country I'd never get to myself) But there are still good things to be found. You just have to look persistently. Then you get a good laugh watching Ebay later, like I did when I picked up "Electric Dreams" on laserdisc for $4 at a record store, then saw people bidding $40 for one on Epay.
    If things go as planned I'll be in LA by Sunday that week, so I'll need to find a good flea market that's down there.