Any Good, Cheap 5.1 used Pre-Amps?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Garrett Lundy, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

While the rest of the world marches on towards 6.1 and 7.1 surround sound, my lowly home theater is going to be permanently mired in 5.1 (No room for the rear channels). It seems even the mid-priced recievers are now all 6.1 (at least).

Now then, since I can buy seperate power amplifiers that put most any reciever to shame, I was wondering if the HTF had any suggestions for good used pre-amps (Cause I'm cheap). I'm not too familiar with the different makes & models of seperates, so humor me[​IMG]

Pre-Amp requirements.

*DD & DTS are required, PL2 would be cool but I can deal with PL1.

*5.1 analog input (for SACD / DVDA) would be good too.

Anything like this manufactured in the last few years that might be available off Ebay or Audiogon for @ $500? or am I asking for too much?

2. Jarrod

Jarrod Agent

Check out the Marantz AV9000. It doesn't have DPLII but has just about everything else you need in a modern 5.1 prepro (including component video switching and THX Ultra certification if that means anything to you).

These go for around $800 on ebay.

3. Carl Gaff

Carl Gaff Second Unit

I would also look for a Sherwood-Newcastle AVP-9080R preamp. They are a great preamp with plenty of flexibility as well as great reliability. I have seen then for sale used for about $350-$600. If you can wait a month or so to buy one, the new Sherwood-Newcastle preamp is due out soon (I hope) and I would imagine there will be a lot of the 9080's for sale here on HTF.

4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Another choice is the HK Signature 2.0 preamp which commonly goes for around $400 or so used. Most available models should have DTS, but since it was a software upgrade you'll need to confirm it with the seller. No PL2, but the unit does have some very nice surround modes. The 2.0 does have a 6-ch input, and also features a bass boost for that input in case you experience low bass from a universal player.

The only caveat is that reliability does seem to be a slight concern with these units, as the software seems to wig out every once in a while. I've owned one for a little over a year, which I bought used from a fellow HTFer, and haven't experienced any problems however.

HK still maintains a bit of info on their website. It can be found at http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...ype=ps&#active

5. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Garrette, look for a good used Lexicon DC-1, or DC-2.

For theater processing, the Lexicon's are awesome. If it's a DC-1, just be sure it's got the 5.1 on board as the base DC-1 may not have, and DTS was an add on.

Lex