What's new

Any good B&M stores in NoVA? (1 Viewer)

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
I want a new motherboard, CPU, and memory. Back in the day, I was all about keeping up with the latest and greatest technology, but now I just don't have the time. I need a good computer store in northern VA (I live in Alexandria) that can sell me what I need at a decent price, give good advice about what to buy, and accept returns if something happens to not work right. I don't have anything against CompUSA, but I don't want to have to learn which motherboard has the latest chipsets, what the latest chipsets are, what the latest memory technology is, which chips work with what, etc....

Some idea of what I want: 512Mb memory, at least 2 GHz processor (AMD or Intel), motherboard for a standard tower case (I have a Dell Dimension XPS T450).

Can anybody suggest a good store?

Thanks.

Chun Lam

Agent
Yeah, Microcenter is not bad - their staff is a bit more knowledgable than the typical CompUSA employee. You'll still pay around the same price as CompUSA though.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Since you live in Alexandria try Computer Renaissance. Its in a shopping center at S. Van Dorn and Stevenson. Small store but good staff and friendly. There is also a CompUSA just up the hill from there if you need to check them out. Also don't discount the Market Pro computer shows that are ususally held monthly at the Dulles Expo Center. Some good deals can be found if you are willing to work at it.

Edited to correct an incorrect street name.

Charlie B. Ch.

Stunt Coordinator
Austin Tech is a really good store. Their address is

45000 Underwood Ln # H,
Sterling, VA 20166
Phone: (703) 796-9041

I live in Vienna and just 2 minutes drive from Micro Center but I still would recommend Austin Tech although they are all the way out near Dulles Airport. I bought most of my desktop needs from there. Their prices on mobo and processors usually beat the big chain stores. If you know how to build a computer, check them out.

C. Stewart Weaver

Auditioning
Leo,

I've had good luck at "The Computer Store", in Fairfax. It's been worth the drive, from central Va, for me. Check it out:

tcponline.com

The Computer Place of Virginia, Inc.

Located At:
11266 James Swart Circle
Fairfax, VA 22030
Tel. 703-246-9188
Fax 703-246-9106

Directions:

From Beltway to Rt.66:
Take exit number 9 from Beltway (I-66 WEST), towards Manassas/Front Royal. Take the US-50 EAST exit 57A (E/Lee Jackson Memorial Highway), take right at first traffic light (Waples Mill Rd/VA-665 S) and then take your first left into James Swart Circle (Mall with Circuit City & Burlington Coat Factory).

Good luck,

Stimpy

Users who are viewing this thread