Any good anthology series out there?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Elena S, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Elena S

Elena S Supporting Actor

Just wondering if there are any good anthology series on DVD. I'm talking about shows like "Studio One," "Playhouse 90," etc., not sci-fi shows like "Twilight Zone." Can anyone make a recommendation?

2. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

https://www.sharemation.com/markscif...pg?uniq=b25r98

Well I can think of one excellent anthological (?) tv series right off the top-of-my-head and that's ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS (CBS 1955-60, NBC 1960-62) which was later expanded to an hour long incarnation referred to as THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (CBS 1962-64, NBC 1964-65) making it the longest running (mystery-suspense-crime-thriller) anthology tv series produced.

There is already a discussion thread about a supposed DVD release scheduled for 2005 something of which (absolutely) nothing has been heard about since last December 2004 incidentally.

ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS (CLICK HERE).

There's also DESILU PLAYHOUSE (CBS 1958-60) which few have seen aired on tv since its original primetime broadcast on the CBS Television Network in the 1950s to be sure!

What's wrong with THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64) anyway which is not just SF but fantasy-horror-supernatural-suspense themed as well?

Jeff T.

3. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

This jogged my memory about the "Loretta Young Show" set that recently came out (or was slated to come out). Haven't seen any reviews of it anywhere. I'd love to see those "Desilu Playhouse" episodes. Same with "GE Theater," which offered some often very high-calibre guest-stars. Sure wish some anthology series of this nature would make the dvd grade. I always like the variety (stories + stars) of old anthology shows. So, I echo your sentiments.

4. Elena S

Elena S Supporting Actor

Oh, I didn't mean there's anything wrong with TZ; I was just interested in finding a series I haven't seen over and over again.

Thanks for the responses. I did like "Alfred Hitchcock" and would be glad to see it released. Is "Desilu Playhouse" available on DVD?

5. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

Oh! I never tire of THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64) myself and could watch it forever...unfortunately the same can't be said of STAR TREK (NBC 1966-69) something which I tired of (at least) thirty years ago now!

To each his own!

Anyway DESILU PLAYHOUSE (CBS 1958-68) aka WESTINGHOUSE DESILU PLAYHOUSE certainly has much to recommend it.

For one thing Desi Arnaz (March 02nd, 1917 - December 02nd, 1986) himself in addition to being the series executive producer (I believe) was also the onscreen host. Mr. Arnaz is such an underrated talent in the industry and it's primarily because of his (behind-the-scenes) efforts that Lucille Ball (August 06th, 1911 - April 26th, 1989) became such an enormous star on television.

A number of the LUCY-DESI COMEDY HOUR segments were originally featured on DESILU PLAYHOUSE.

The pilot episode of THE UNTOUCHABLES (ABC 1959-63) with Robert Stack (January 13th, 1919 - May 15th, 2003) aired as a two part presentation (20/04/1959 and 27/04/1959) made its initial bow on this dramatic anthology show.

Rod Serling's (December 25th, 1924 - June 28th, 1975) "The Time Element" (10/11/1958) originally intended as the pilot for THE TWILIGHT ZONE was presented on DESILU PLAYHOUSE.

No! Unfortunately this (long) forgotten effort isn't (currently) available on DVD and is now under the auspices of Paramount Pictures-Viacom International Television which is currently preoccupied releasing (inane) dreck like THE BRADY BUNCH (ABC 1969-74) something that is just as much a reflection of the public's taste out there today as it is on that of the part of Paramount's (embarrasing) stupidity.

This is the fundamental flaw (as I see it) with the (vast) majority of DVD releases coming from all the major film and television industry distributors in that most of the material being made available is (primarily) targeted at kids and teens which aren't necessarily the most interesting demographic to reach.

Certainly not for those of us who like the older (and more substantial) tv shows from the 1950s and 1960s to be sure.

I'll give you a good example of this! 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment releases LOST IN SPACE (CBS 1965-68) but does absolutely nothing about (also) making available either VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) or THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) both of which tower over the former.

Absolutely brilliant!

But with the definite connection to the famed Desilu Television Productions there's always the possibility that the current owner-distributor may give this tv property a chance...in due time!

Let's hope so!

Jeff T.

6. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

"The Loretta Young Show" was released earlier this year by the Timeless Media Group, which has also released "Branded" and "The Guns of Will Sonnet" among a few others. Here's the link:

http://timelessmusic.com/dvds/lorettayoung.htm

Also, TreeLine Films released six episodes of "Four Star Theater" in their box set of 100 Television Episodes.

7. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Anthology shows are high on the list as far as quality but are virtually forgotten by today's audiences. Unless there is something that can be used as a hook (such as Alfred Hitchcock Presents or Boris Karloff's Thriller), I'd say there is no chance for these shows to come out. Even something like Playhouse 90, which was supposed to be the epitome of golden age anthologies, will languish in the vaults forever. 99.99999% of people under 35 don't know and don't care about anything that came before them.

8. Elena S

Elena S Supporting Actor

Quote: Anthology shows are high on the list as far as quality but are virtually forgotten by today's audiences. Unless there is something that can be used as a hook (such as Alfred Hitchcock Presents or Boris Karloff's Thriller), I'd say there is no chance for these shows to come out. Even something like Playhouse 90, which was supposed to be the epitome of golden age anthologies, will languish in the vaults forever. 99.99999% of people under 35 don't know and don't care about anything that came before them.

This is so, so sad. So many quality shows are being ignored by distributors. It seems that there's a lot of dreck being released. Every day when I log onto TVShowsonDVD I am disappointed to see titles that I've never even heard of, while more popular shows are languishing in backburner DVD hell. I wish there was something disgruntled buyers could do about this.

9. Tom.W

Tom.W Stunt Coordinator

Studio One produced some excellent pilot shows too, such as The Defender, which preceeded its eventual series, The Defenders (1961-1965) by some four years. This is arguably the best written lawyer show ever made, featuring the writing talents of Reginald Rose, and superb producer Herbert Brodkin. It dealt with far reaching topics like the death penalty, abortion, international relations, even juror misconduct, in highly dramatic ways.

The Dick Powell Show, in its second 60 minute format, also spawned pilots for quality shows like Burke's Law. I'd love to see these shows given a chance. I think there could be a market for serious shows like these if there were enough people at the studios who believed in creating a sales strategy for them.

Do we have to wait for the studios and their licencees to exhaust the vaults of insipid TvLand retreads before this happens? We have seen studios reach back to classic films after releasing current hits. But I don't think a 3 episode release of Maverick qualifies as giving the public a real taste of a classic television show, ie. a bigger commitment is necessary.

10. Tom.W

Tom.W Stunt Coordinator

Bert, I would highly recommend the timelessvideo release of The Loretta Young Show, Season 1, authorized by LY's estate. It's not technically perfect: no elapsed time available, occasional sound dropouts (that are previewed by visual cues). But otherwise quality is generally good, and there are episodes previously unavailable by commercial release. LY Show is one of the best anthology series, IMHO.

11. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    JeffT. wrote (post #5):

While I agree with much of what's been said about the release patterns of older and/or more obscure tv series, if The Brady Bunch is your idea of "(inane) dreck", while the Irwin Allen-produced Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and The Time Tunnel are your examples of "quality tv", then you may be left scratching your head for one long time as to why the latter remain unreleased. What does get released from among these older tv series is such a crap-shoot anyway, muddying the picture with dubious personal standards of "quality" won't help the situation. If "quality" were the measure-stick of release policy, a good 80% of extant releases, from whatever era, would likely never have seen the light of day.

12. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

In response to Rex Bachmann.

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and THE TIME TUNNEL are great 1960s tv series...at their best with many outstanding episodes produced during their respective primetime broadcast runs!

And I'm speaking on a dramatic level! No fooling!

You're holding up (in your thinking) the bad segments to support your particular (biased) viewpoint against them (and admittedly there are) but what tv series ever aired never had its fair share of (outright) failures?

The fact that both these SF programs do have many commendable shows to their (respective) credits fully qualifies both as tv classics.

As far as my standards of quality being "dubious" you're wrong in that too!

Point-of-fact what was actually said was that I considered VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and THE TIME TUNNEL to be better than LOST IN SPACE...so what? They are!

As I said earlier "to each his own. You can have THE BRADY BUNCH while I'll (gladly) take VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL over it any time!

Lastly I didn't see you (constructively) suggest an anthology tv series of merit to this discussion thread. Something else you've (completely) overlooked.

Jeff T.

13. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    JeffT. wrote (post #12):

I "overlooked" it deliberately, since I've harped on it over and over and over again in almost every other tv-show "wish-list" thread that has come along since I've been participating on these boards, but, very well, once again: the crypto-classic Way Out
    (CBS, 1961).

14. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

Ah! The great Irwin Allen paradox! On his tv series one can find both the best and the worst that's been produced for television...but I could (also) say the same for STAR TREK (ie. "Spock's Brain").

I know (well) the book that you're referring to and the polls that were taken by the experts in the field (some of whom did indeed cast votes for the Irwin Allen tv series in the best series catagory incidentally)...that was written more than 20 years ago maybe even closer to 30 now and perspectives can change with the passage of time.

Allan Asherman who wrote the Star Trek Compendium would later provide the liner notes for the Columbia House Collector's Edition VHS tape series for VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and LOST IN SPACE and he was able to ascertain (noteworthy) merits in both SF tv series.

The Irwin Allen programs pretty much reflect the changes in the television medium itself. The earlier seasons are very characteristic of the more serious dramas so prevailent in the early 1960s while the latter seasons reflect the (highly eccentric) trends that were taking place in the decade's latter half.

But even here maybe Irwin Allen felt that tv needed a much lighter touch to it and was on to something really trend setting by bringing (more) humour to the SF genre...something that became much more prevailent in later efforts on television.

These particular SF tv series (like anything else produced on television) may well not be for all tastes but they do have many well handled episodes to their credit nonetheless and in the cases of VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL both started off as definite adult shows.

Point-of-fact in an interview given at the time (1966) the late Richard Basehart acknowledged that 80% of VOYAGE's viewing audience was indeed adult in composition.

In the 1960s the Irwin Allen tv shows were (certainly) among the most colourful and exciting produced for this period...and that includes LOST IN SPACE and LAND OF THE GIANTS. Even Steven Spielberg acknowledged that VOYAGE was one of the most innovative concepts ever brought to television...which it was! Speaking of Spielberg just where do you think he got the idea for SEAQUEST DSV?

Back in the 1960s not many adults were really that hep to SF entertainment...period! But it was found that many of these tv programs did have a special appeal among children and teens. Small wonder as these series progressed that they would be tailered more toward this particular demographic.

VOYAGE ran for four seasons with 110 episodes to its credit (a longtime unbroken record) making it one of the longest running U.S.-produced SF tv series aired on primetime in the 1960s lasting even longer than STAR TREK.

VOYAGE won 4 Emmy Awards while THE TIME TUNNEL actually received an Emmy itself. Awards aren't given for the worst tv series...at least not back in the 1960s that is!

Irwin Allen and company must have been doing something right here in reaching its viewing audience.

Unlike most people I do respect what the critics have to say but one can find the same kind of negativism launched against THE OUTER LIMITS, STAR TREK, THE INVADERS and most anything SF themed on television back then.

You mention the critics but there is a school of thought that tv itself and everything on it is inherently bad. Keep this in mind! If the truth be known the critics of the time (generally) found VOYAGE and LOST IN SPACE praiseworthy on their television debuts.

I can (also) say that I like THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (ABC 1952-58), THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (CBS 1955-60), THE INVISIBLE MAN (CBS 1958-59, 1960) THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. (NBC 1964-68) or whatever and individuals like you will respond, "Those aren't particularly outstanding tv series" and cite all their shortcomings.

And yet in their own (special) way they are! In most cases it's taken the perspective of time (particularly in the wake of what's followed in the ensuing years) for their merits to be recognized and appreciated.

These Irwin Allen tv series were (truly) groundbreaking in their day broadly expanding the perimeters of just what could be done on television and did employ excellent directors, writers and guest performers to their credit.

Your (main) point-of-contention is that say VOYAGE shouldn't be placed on the same level as the more prestigious dramatic tv series that we've been discussing here and yet during its first two seasons this extraordinary program did indeed produce a number of exceptionally well done dramas exploring (provacative) themes (like nuclear warfare) that the straighter dramatic tv shows never did.

I (honestly) don't see just why such a big issue is being made of all this here but you're absolutely right in that the Irwin Allen tv series do have their detractors but also have their (substantial) supporters as well. For Pete's sake these tv series have been continually aired on television for 40 years now...and are still going strong!

As difficult as it may seem (flawed as they be at times) they've served as source of inspiration (and entertainment) for many later generation SF film and tv production talents (and I already mentioned Steven Spielberg as but one example of this).

Which brings up another (significant) point in that the Irwin Allen tv series (like the other SF shows of the period) were audaciously innovative with nothing really to pattern themselves on while today's efforts in the genre are (generally) blatantly imitative (or rather derivative) with no genuine creativity really to speak of.

This is just a matter where we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm sticking to my guns on this and you're naturally welcome to stick to yours.

Probably the most persuasive argument to be made in their defense is that if VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL were really dreck than we'd certainly have seem them released on DVD long before now.

As far as comedy is concerned I think that VOYAGE was a lot more funnier than THE BRADY BUNCH ever was!

Jeff T.

15. Matt Harrison

Matt Harrison Stunt Coordinator

If your looking for horror anthology, with some well known actors, I reccommend Tales from the crypt

16. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson

So is GILLIGAN'S ISLAND...

The great thing about Irwin Allen's shows is that (or so I've read) he never thought they were funny, not even LOST IN SPACE. He thought they were all dead serious.

The only Allen show I watched semi-regularly as a kid was LAND OF THE GIANTS. Fun, but hardly anything other than a juvenile sci-fi series. All of Allen's work (in film and TV) has been pretty juvenile, even his "adult" epics like POSEIDON ADVENTURE and TOWERING INFERNO; not that that's necessarily a bad thing, however.

17. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    JeffT. wrote (post #14):

I think so, too, but not, apparently, for the same reasons you do. Clowns from outer space??? Killer wind-up toys on the Seaview??? It is to laugh.

18. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

In response to Rex Bachman's message post here's a listing of the all the episodes from the first two seasons of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA many of which stand as the series finest.

You point out the particular ones to me that you happen to find so reprehensible! The episodes that you consider to be "dreck"."

Season One (1964-65)

01. Eleven Days to Zero
    02. The City Beneath the Sea
    03. The Fear-Makers
    04. The Mist Of Silence
    05. The Price of Doom
    06. The Sky is Falling
    07. Turn Back the Clock
    08. The Village of Guilt
    09. Hot Line
    10. Submarine Sunk Here
    11. The Magnus Beam
    12. No Way Out
    13. The Blizzard Makers
    14. The Ghost of Moby Dick
    15. Long Live the King
    16. Hail to the Chief
    17. The Last Battle
    18. Mutiny
    19. Doomsday
    20. The Invaders
    21. The Indestructible Man
    22. The Buccaneer
    23. The Human Computer
    24. The Saboteur
    25. Cradle of the Deep
    26. The Amphibians
    27. The Exile
    28. The Creature
    29. The Enemies
    30. The Secret of the Loch
    31. The Condemned
    32. The Traitor

Season Two (1965-66)

33. Jonah and the Whale
    34. Time Bomb
    35. ...And Five of Us Are Left
    36. The Cyborg
    37. Escape from Venice
    38. The Left-Handed Man
    39. The Deadliest Game
    40. Leviathan
    41. The Peacemaker
    42. The Silent Saboteurs
    43. The X Factor
    44. The Machines Strike Back
    45. The Monster from Outer Space
    46. Terror on Dinosaur Island
    47. Killers of the Deep
    48. Deadly Creature Below!
    49. The Phantom Strikes
    50. The Sky's On Fire
    51. Graveyard of Fear
    52. The Shape of Doom
    53. Dead Men's Doubloons
    54. The Death Ship
    55. The Monster's Web
    56. The Menfish
    57. The Mechanical Man
    58. The Return of the Phantom

Two seasons worth of (generally) well executed episodes is certainly (a lot) more than a (mere) "few" as you (falsely) intimated. In my thinking obviously you're not really all that familiar with this particular tv series and (like the experts in that book) speak out of complete ignorance although you yourself may not necessarily ignorant.

Point-of-fact you mention the exaxt two VOYAGE episodes used in the book to support their particular (negative) viewpoint.

One contributor in the book even goes to the extreme of saying that in the second season of VOYAGE "werewolves" were introducted into the storylines but take a good look at the episode listing provided in this message post and you'll see that no such thing occurred (until the third season that is!). This is precisely the kind of slanted and biased misinformation that I happen to object to. Say anything just to prove a point! In essence they're judging VOYAGE with examples from the third year rather than objectively examining this tv series from its beginning.

For contrast (and some perspective) I feel that STAR TREK only has one real season of (genuine) merit...its first! So in a very real sense there are more good episodes of VOYAGE than there are of STAR TREK which the aformentioned experts rated as the best SF tv series ever produced for television.

You are doing precisely what these (so-called) SF specialists in that book did (and which I've already addressed here)...citing all the episodes (that were deemed to be poor) and holding these up as being representative of the entire tv series which is wrong and quite frankly unethical.

The two particular examples that you gave "The Terrible Toys" (16/10/1966) and "The Wax Men" (05/03/1967) both came from the series' third season (1966-67) which by this stage had shifted more toward a definite juvenile bent...and I've already explained the reasons why.

Incidentally you weren't correct at all in your assertion that the (midget) "clown" seen in "The Wax Men" came from "outer space" (portrayed by the excellent character actor Michael Dunn).

He was blithely explained as being a "deranged genius" bent on some sort of powerplay utilizing the Seaview or some such. Pretty wild stuff I'll admit but certainly no more eccentric than the (decidedly) bizarre (and colourful) villainy (similarly) seen on THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., THE WILD WILD WEST and THE AVENGERS.

Hey! That was typical of the wonderfully crazy films and tv series of the mid 1960s!

Look at the JAMES BOND films which many (at the time) perceived as being so aberrantly outrageous and eccentric...to say the least!

I happen to like this episode because it's so dead serious and intense in its presentation and who'd ever think of a clown (and a midget at that!) as being particularly menacing and posing any kind of threat? Unless one has seen the ONE STEP BEYOND episode "The Clown" (22/03/1960) that is?

Irwin Allen obviously was more confortable with fantasy than he was with SF and in the realm of the imagination most anything is possible...if not necessarily plausible!

THE TWILIGHT ZONE had stories involving department store manikins, ventriloquist dummies and a child's doll having a life of their own...pretty farfetched stuff on the surface you'll admit!

"The Terrible Toys" exploits this (basic) concept of the inanimate being animate and once again explores the (interesting) notion of something seeming harmless taking on a more sinister aspect...which (I'm sure) was the intent. Yes this one did have alien invaders in the storyline! Who took these innocuous enough seeming toys and technically altered them for sabotage on board the Seaview. I'm sure that intelligence agencies have done stranger things with everyday items.

So who's really to say (or dictate) that a tv series like VOYAGE which is (imaginative) fiction anyway can't also explore similar avenues as THE TWILIGHT ZONE did?

When it comes to this sort of SF-cum fantasy entertainment one is either willing to suspend (total) disbelief and enjoy the show or (as in your particular case) you're not!

I not going to defend this tv series because I don't have to. Nor do I necessarily dig everything that was done on the show myself. If it doesn't succeed as entertainment for you then fine and well but don't try make it out as if it's necessarily a bad tv series...because it isn't.

There is enough thoughtfulness and (yes) intelligence there (exhibited in the first two seasons at the very least) to appeal to those who take their tv (dare I say it?) seriously.

In reponse to Jeffrey Nelson's message post both VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and THE TIME TUNNEL started off as definite adult oriented tv series. They are not going to award Emmys to children shows and both ran in the adult tv series catagories anyway.

LOST IN SPACE and LAND OF THE GIANTS were (definitely) targeted at a younger audience demographic and as you said what's really wrong that? Most of us were kids when these two tv series originally debuted back in the 1960s anyway.

You can carry on this argument indefinitely but what's really the point here? You have your (particular) opinion and I have my own. Let's just leave it at that!

I'll conclude by saying that a DVD release of both VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and THE TIME TUNNEL are certainly welcomed and will (undoubtedly) prove to be one of the most exciting classic tv series collections that could be made available in this (innovative) entertainment medium.

Jeff T.

19. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

People tend to mix up shows they like as opposed to shows that are actually great shows. I like the Irwin Allen shows but I will never argue that they are great shows. The poster who said that it was unfair to call them great while putting down the Brady Bunch was right. You can't say my crap shows are good but yours stink. Just say people like different crap shows. If you want to talk sci-fi classics, talk about Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits and One Step Beyond. Sitcoms, bring up All in the Family, I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke. Good rule to follow - no show with the names Sherwood Schwartz, Aaron Spelling or Irwin Allen on them can ever be referred to as "great". If you want great, look for names like Herbert Brodkin, David Susskind, Herbert B. Leonard and Quinn Martin. And even everything they turned out wasn't great, although even their failures will be of a much higher level of quality than anything the afforementioned gentlemen created.

20. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

I completely reject the notion that somehow VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and THE TIME TUNNEL are on a same (lowly) level as THE BRADY BUNCH which is absolutely absurd.

And no the other poster isn't right...he's dead wrong! You're wrong!

You want a for instance?

Take THE OUTER LIMITS episode "Tourist Attraction" (23/11/1963) which is an undistinguished effort from the series' first season (under the producership of Joseph Stefano) and by contrast time and time again the underwater adventures seen on VOYAGE were infinitely more interesting and exciting by comparison...and this is citing from a SF tv series that you yourself named!

Even LOST IN SPACE and LAND OF THE GIANTS both admittedly targeted at a younger aged demographic have a marked sophistication and inherent superiority to much of the Saturday morning children's shows of the 1970s and 1980s to be sure.

Obviously when both VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL are finally marketed on DVD many people who harbour the similar uninformed viewpoint (and all the initial poster really did was reguritate what he read in this stupid book of his that was chock full of blantant misinformation substituting what he's read for what he's actually seen) are in for a very pleasant surprise when these two 1960s SF tv classics are reexperienced and rediscovered (hopefully in their entireties and fully restored to optimum visual excellence).

Now granted I'm talking about the better earlier season efforts!

Oh yes, when this momentuous happenstance does occur it will a much more sophisticated clientele that will purchase these DVD collections too...the likes of (future generation) SF directors, writers, artists and professionals in the fields of science which the Irwin Allen tv series have inspired over the past 40 years now (and I provided an impressive example of this with a fan artist's impressive rendition of the Time Tunnel in this discussion thread).

Just what does THE BRADY BUNCH supposedly inspire? Couch potatoes and tv addicts?

Time will vindicate me not you! Correction! Time has already vindicated me!

It's interesting that Carroll O'Connor who was mentioned (or at least ALL IN THE FAMILY was) as he gave (truly) outstanding performances in the VOYAGE episode "Long Live the King" (21/12/1964) and THE TIME TUNNEL segment "The Last Patrol" (07/10/1966) both superb examples of this late actor's early television work.

Pertaining more specifically to family sitcoms I consider FATHER KNOWS BEST, LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, MY THREE SONS, DENNIS THE MENACE, THE PATTY DUKE SHOW et al far more enjoyable than something like THE BRADY BUNCH ever was.

By your thinking all these tv series are (supposedly) cut from the same cloth but no way for all the aforementioned family oriented shows were a lot more hep at being genuinely entertaining than THE BRADY BUNCH ever was. Their (seeming) only shortcoming being that these (now vintage) tv sitcoms happened to be produced in black-and-white...an anathema to today's tv viewing audiences unfortunately!

Anyway I said that I considered VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL to be superior SF tv series to LOST IN SPACE which was released on DVD. I also said that THE BRADY BUNCH was "dreck" in the context that Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment has made this particular show available while a tv property like THE INVADERS continues to languish in the studio television film vaults.

Small wonder for my frustration!

I'm not carrying this (pointless) discussion any further as neither individual apart from disagreeing has come up with any factual basis to back up their own positions.

You are entitled to your own viewpoints (which haven't been denied here) and this is an instance (for the umpteenth time now) where we will just have to agree to disagree.

Sheesh!

Jeff T.