What's new

Any good acoustic guitar or piano suggestions? (1 Viewer)

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Since upgrading my system I have a new appreciation for well-recorded music, particularly slow jazz (i.e. Diana Krall) and other acoustic material. Can anyone suggest some good CDs?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i think the windham hill label has some pretty good piano artists - specifically george winston is probably the most famous. you can almost always find some sort of piano sampler type compilation from them.
also, suzanne cianni (sp?) from the private music label comes to mind, but i'm only passingly familiar with her work.
new age music (in general) is really fun to listen to on a good system - i really like the "warmth".
here's a start for ya...
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Sara K, "Hobo" on Chesky Records is very well recorded. Can get a CD or Audio only DVD. Jacintha, "Heres to Ben" is a dual layer SACD (cd layer is good too) and is also well recorded. Based on your preference, I would recommend the 2nd one 1st.

Nathan A

Second Unit
If you're looking for good piano- pick up one of Jordan Rudess' CDs. He's the keyboard player for Dream Theater (I'm a huge fan) and he has also released some solo stuff. The only one I've been able to check out yet is "Resonance"- it plays somewhat like classical music. He's truly one of the few great piano players left today. You can check out his site at www.jordanrudess.com
He also did an album with guitar player John Petrucci ("An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess"). The majority of the music is piano and acoustic guitar duets. Although it's not really jazz, if you like jazz you certainly may like this album.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Guitar- If you have any interest in classical, check out the many excellent guitar adaptations for Bach's music. His style of composing translates extremely well. I have Paul Galbraith's guitar version of Bach's Violin Sonatas and Partitas. Great stuff.
Shakti, and Indian/jazz type hybrid led by John McLaughlin is cool. The original Shakti only made one album. Guitar, violin, and percussion.
Al DiMeola plays a mean guitar (electric and acoustic). I have his Acoustic Anthology, which sounds like it may be for you.
McLaughlin, DiMeola, and Paco de Lucia (a flamenco guitarist) teamed up on a couple of albums. Three masters going nuts on acoustic guitars.
Electric guitar: I know you asked about acoustic, but I can't help but recommend Grant Green. One of the first CDs I bought after getting my fancy new speakers was a Green CD. With the room in total silence and my ass in the "sweet spot," the sound was just phenomenal.
Piano- Thelonius Monk has some interesting solo piano material. However, I don't really listen to solo piano, but if you want jazz piano players in general, I can certainly help with that.
Cool, calm, smooth stuff: Bill Evans, Dave Brubeck, Sonny Clarke
More energetic stuff: Duke Ellington, Monk, Bud Powell
Of course, there are so many more, these are just my favorites

Darren H

Second Unit
I started a similar thread the last time I upgraded my receiver. I think it was called "In search of the perfect piano." One recommendation I received then, which I will enthusiastically pass on to you now, is "A Window in Time." Here's the description from Amazon:
This collection of Rachmaninoff's solo piano performances relies on a mix of old and new technologies. Between 1919 and 1929, Rachmaninoff cut these 19 performances to piano rolls, which would then be played back through reproducing pianos capable of accurately re-creating the original performances through pneumatic devices that animated the rolls with living nuances and shades--a facet that differentiated the classier reproduction keyboards from the more common "player pianos." This set updates the technology with electronic devices--transparently, though expertly, replacing the pneumatics. Played back on a Bösendorfer Reproducing Piano, this collection sounds astounding, full of Rachmaninoff's lickety-quick motion and his punching intensity when striking the keys. There are 18 Rachmaninoff selections--some of them collaborations--and one gem, "The Star-Spangled Banner," taken to new places in this 1919 reading.
The performance is impressive, but the actual recording itself is just amazing. I've never heard a more accurately recorded piano.
For acoustic guitar, I would highly recommend any (or, every) Michael Hedges album. His "Best of" is probably a good starting point. No one plays guitar like Hedges did. I actually cried when I found out he had died.

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
A couple of acoustic guitarists you might enjoy are Leo Kottke and John Fahey, in particular, Kottke's PECULIAROSO and Fahey's RETURN OF THE REPRESSED.

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
CHECK OUT THE PAT METHENY & CHARLIE HADEN CD "BEYOND THE MISSOURI SKY." IT'S ACOUSTIC BASS AND GUITAR. VERY NICE. FOR PIANO, GET SOME OF THE SOLO CHICK COREA CDS. OR ANOTHER PIANO FAVORITE IS MICHEL CAMILO. HE'S A DOMINICAN PIANIST THAT IS OUTSTANDING. ALSO LOOK INTO GONZALO RUBALCABA'S CD IMAGINE.
CHRIS

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
John Fahey - amazing guitarist. But buy it for the playing not the sound.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I'd recommend Badi Assad - Echos of Brazil. She is a phenomenal classical guitarist that plays jazz. The Echos cd is all classical guitar. You won't be disappointed. It is also on Chesky records.
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks