Any glimmers of hope for Universal Monsters this year....?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Craig Beam, May 12, 2003.

1. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    It's been almost two years since the Double Feature discs were released, and still no word about the next wave! I'm about to order the Creature trilogy on VHS out of desperation.....

Anyone?

2. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Next summer, Universal releases its big creature feature VAN HELSING, featuring Dracula, the Frankenstein monster, and the Wolfman, and I assume the studio will revisit its Classic Monsters collection then, with new releases and perhaps re-releases of flawed titles like THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN.

3. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Don't forget Universal are also making a "Creature from the Black Lagoon" remake too - from Guillermo del Toro (presumably after "Hellboy") so don't expect that disc to be reissued next year.

You know, every release is about "marketing synergy" and meaningless anniversaries these days.

[Sarcasm]
    Because, dude, you know, it's not like anyone would actually want to buy an old black and white movie - especially, like, a horror film with no blood - that totally sucks. Unless they've seen a modern remake first, with you know CGI monsters, I guess. Not some guy in a totally gay rubber suit walking around with his arms up like a goddamn zombie!
    [/Sarcasm]

*Sigh* I wonder if anybody at Universal actually understands the word "Classic".

4. Henry V

Henry V Stunt Coordinator

I picked this up from the Classic Horror Forum at http://pub135.ezboard.com/ftonymoefrm9, since it's not an official studio info release you might want to take it with a grain of salt but for what it's worth,here is the info from their moderator...

"I was hanging with a VERY good friend from Hollywood last weekend at the Chiller Expo and was given some semi-good info that I figgered I could pass on....

Seems that Universal WILL be re-releasing the Classic Horror line up again.That's the GOOD news...the Bad news is that they will have all new cover art, (maybe that isn't "bad' news per-say...but wait! It gets worse!), and they will be removing ALL of the extras that made the first batch of releases as good as they were!!

Bytes don't it? BUT...I also also told that some of the sequels we've been clamouring for WILL be released! IE Revenge of the Creature,Creature Walks Among Us and several others. So to take the good with the bad...The Good is that IF you bought all the original DVD releases....well your in luck cause the sequels are FINALLY going to be released! The Bad is that if you didn't get the original releases with all the goodies,your out of luck!"

5. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Del Toro dropped out of the Creature remake. I really hope they never go forward with this one.

6. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'm still hoping for a box set of the double features, they were just too expensive on their own. Plus they would look great next to the other box set!

7. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

What a shame that Universal would wait for the release of the (inevitably dumb) Van Helsing movie ("from the people who brought you 'The Mummy' and 'The Mummy Returns'!) to put out these classic films again. It's weird they've been MIA for so long.

I bought a Revenge of the Creature VHS for $3.99 from a K-Mart a few months ago. Trust me, you do not want Universal's latest VHS tapes of these.

The Creature ftBL DVD however, is exquisite.[​IMG]

8. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Jim, can you elaborate on the VHS CREATURE editions? What makes them so awful (other than the format, I mean)? [​IMG]

9. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Since Universal doesn't have a clue when it comes to their catalog titles, it doesn't surprise me that it's been almost 2 years for any new titles in their Monster series. Besides, they're busy at work on the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band DVD[​IMG]

10. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

I've got Creature Walks Among Us from probably 10 years ago or so, and it looks okay (ya' know, for a VHS). It's from the original releases with the nifty photo-shopped covers.

But the latest copy I got of Revenge of the Creature looked awful. I'm pretty sure it's a new edition because it has the poster cover like the DVD releases, plus similar graphics. It also came with a mini-CD computer game.

Mainly it has terrible, excessive video noise. Makes me think that Universal's quality control for VHS has gone straight to "heck" now that DVD is the rage. Or maybe they're dumping cruddy, cheap VHS editions to "encourage" us to get the DVDs (when they become available).

Whatever, I felt ripped-off at $3.99...!