What's new

any get the white line fixed on their Toshiba? (1 Viewer)

david*mt

Second Unit
I've been reading over at the Spot about several guys in Canada who have had theirs fixed. Has anyone here in the US been able to get their set fixed? My service center has never heard of a fix.

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
I've not looked into it yet, but I plan on checking into this in a couple of weeks. I have a 57HX93 with the white banding. My TV was built in Sept 03.

Tosh owners; let's keep this thread alive to help get the word out. Toshiba America can't ignore everyone.

Kevin Golding

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a copy-and-paste from the Spot on 5/18:

"OK, so my Dad, who is a Toshiba authorized warranty technician as stated above, just got off the phone with Toshiba about my 65HX83 with the center white line issue. The Toshiba rep knew exactly what the problem was and described the following fix:

Attach a jumper wire from the emitter terminal of transistor Q404 to the anode terminal of diode D461."

It was confirmed that this particular tech was in the US (Tosh Canada seems to know all about it). Encouraged by this, I called my local service center and told them Toshiba did have a fix for this. When the tech called Toshiba, they had no idea of what he was talking about. I don't know if it's just going to take a while to disseminate the information, or if there is a vast X-Files type of conspiracy to keep this under wraps.

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
You would think after year after year of production runs they would have fixed this crap. I have a 65HX81 and assumed this wasnt an issue anymore in recent model runs. Guess i was wrong. Would love to know of anything new on a fix for it though..

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
This is completely different from the information I have heard. Now that I've heard two different versions, I'd be very careful here.

Kevin Golding

Stunt Coordinator
Very interesting, John. I'm still trying to get Toshiba to give the information to my service center. You wouldn't want to share what you've heard, would you? ;)

Kevin Golding

Stunt Coordinator
The above-quoted poster at the Spot gave an update tonight. He had his set repaired per those instructions, and the white line is gone. He even included a couple of pictures. You can read the post here . He also mentioned the terminology to use when talking to a tech is "center drive line".

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Ah...perhaps that's the answer then. The information I had was to short a coil, which would be the same as this. I don't have a current schematic, so I can't verify that it's the same coil, but I guess it likely is.

Kevin Golding

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I'm still working on getting Toshiba to get this fix to my service center. I will perservere!

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Thanks to this thread, I started following the thread on the HTspot forum.

My Tosh 40H80 has always had this problem. I just discounted it as some sort of interference working it's way into the circuitry. And since it's only noticeable sometimes on certain scenes, I've just been living with it.

Now that there seems to be a solution, I would like to have the fix done.

Anyone know if there has been any confirmation of a set being fixed in the US?

Also, would the fix descibed be the same on the H80 series?

There was also a comment made that bypassing this "coil" could cause something else to prematurly fail. Anyone know anything about this?

Let's hope we get some answers soon!

JimmyK

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I posted this on the HTSpot and thought I would post it here as well just in case any of you can help.

Ok. I got out my service manual for my 40H80 last night and was able to find Q404. However, according to the parts list, there is no D461 on the circuit board. I did find what appears to be the same diode that someone pictured in this thread, but the circuit looks different enough from the posted pictures that I'm am not confident the descibed fix would be the same on the H80 sets.

Anyone else here have ANY info on getting this fixed on a 40H80 set?

Thanks!

JimmyK

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I have heard the odd person with older sets mention that they have this line, but only since people with '83 models started complaining about it. These eyes have certainly not noticed it on older sets.

There have been fairly substantial changes made to the chassis of the '83 models and I wouldn't try to apply this same procedure to an older set without verification of applicability from Toshiba.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings John,

I've seen the line off and on from the X81 series to now ... most notice it on hockey games ...

Regards

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim

For those that don't know, the X81 series came before the H80 series. :)

And yes, it's easy to see on hockey games as the camera pans across the ice.

JimmyK

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Well there you go, then! After thinking about it, the 46H83 that I have now is actually the first widescreen Toshiba I've actually "lived with" at home.

Still, I wouldn't try to apply this fix without verifying that it's applicable to other models.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks