Any gaming with an LCD monitor?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Sabo, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

Putting this question into it's own thread as it's semi off topic in the thread I originally posted it to... sorry for the multiple posts...

Any using one of these LCD's for games? How do they perform? Do you really see the blur they talk about when gaming on a LCD, that's due to refresh rate?

I am really temped to get one of the 18.1's but I don't want to be disapointed with it, since my primary function of the system is games...

I'm specifically referring to the Dell 1800FP, but I suppose anyone's experience will help me out.

Thanks in advance

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

a lot of people will say that LCDs aren't any good for gaming and will say a lot about ghosting effects etc. I used to be in that crowd, but lately a few LCDs have come out that I think would be great for games.

I'm going to go ahead and help you with that misconception there. LCDs don't have a refresh rate, it has what's called a response time which a lot of people have been trying to compare to the refresh rate but it has little to do with it. the way a picture is displayed on a CRT is that an image is flashed up on the screen so many times per second and in-between these flashes is a "blank" screen, if the refresh is too low then your eyes start having troubles with the "strobe" effect that it causes. that's why your eyes get sore from staring at a computer monitor. With an LCD there is no intermediate blank picture between between frames. What is looked for is this response time which is the amount of time it takes apixel to go from straight black to pure white, if your games don't have many bright flashes then you'll find that you can play with minimal ghosting with slower LCDs but with higher response times you can have bright flashes and more effects without this "ghosting effect."

the 1800fps that your looking at is an okay monitor but it's response time (25ms from straight black to pure white) is a bit slow and may cause some problems with you. Hitatchi, and a few others now, has a monitor out with a response time of 16ms which is quite a bit better and from what I've been hearing from those with this monitor is that it's great for gaming even first person shooters (FPS).

hmm. . . well good enough for a "quick blurb" [​IMG] if you need any clarification or have any questions just ask.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

For fast-paced gaming such as UT a 25ms+ LCD will truly show its weakness. Take Rob's advice and shoot for a 16ms if you're a gamer. There are about 4 17" LCDs that are 16ms that I know of; Hitachi, Samsung, NEC and Planar (on sale on Dell's website for ~$480) all offer one.

Personally I'm regretting purchasing a slow 15" Viewsonic because I play Medal of Honor a lot, even though I got a good deal on it.

Tom's Harwdware Article

4. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Hey Dave, great post! I agree with Rob and Scott about the 16ms monitors being better for gamers. The only thing I can add is that in a year I bet these numbers will be even lower and the prices will be cheaper. If you don't want to wait I suggest the Samsung brand, also the Dell unit might use Samsung display components. If anyone knows more on this by all means fill us in.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Anyone know the pixel response times for the Apple Cinema Displays? Apple doesn't release that spec but I wonder if anyone has ever measured it.

6. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Great topic guys. Like Dave, I'm interested in this too and being a gamer I want a good moniter that will handle a FPS.

I will be sure to keep the 16ms response time in mind.

7. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

I really appreciate all the great info and opinions guys [​IMG]

I was specifically wondering if I should take advantage of Dell 20% off deal on the 18.1" that's going on right now. With the info you've all provided, I think I'll stick it out for a while and see what comes down the road for LCDs. Right now it's more a want than a need, I'm still quite happy with my old Viewsonic 19" workhorse, that I paid over $800 for many years ago but is still as good as the day I bought it.

For now I'll hang tight and spend my money elsewhere in my system.

Thanks again.

8. Andrew_Cramlet

9. Miles Lucasso

Miles Lucasso Stunt Coordinator

Interesting post guys.
    Nice explanation Rob.M.G.

Question:

Where do you find the ms speed of a monitor?
    I have a compaq fp 7020 LCD monitor, and have searched
    the hp site but can't find any specs as to ms response time.
    Any one know what it is for the above model?

-Miles

10. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

Miles,

According to this site JandR.com it's 40ms.

11. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

FYI on the Dell 18". The ghosting is not as good as the 17" 1702FP, or the 19" 1900FP.

12. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The ghosting not as good or bad? Me confused [​IMG]

13. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Yea Gabriel, you might want to clarify for us your point. Thanks for your input.

14. Miles Lucasso

Miles Lucasso Stunt Coordinator

John-

thanks for the link.

-Miles

15. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

All LCD monitors ghost to a point with fast action 3d gaming (and sometimes movies). The less ghosting, the better. Ghosting is when you see trails, mainly due to the slow white to black transition. In general, for a given LCD technology (ie. MVA), the faster the total average response time, the less the tendancy to ghost.

For Dell monitors, the 2000fp has the least ghosting. Then the 1900fp, then the 1702fp, then the 1800fp.